Skip to Main Content

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Request a PIN, your electronic signature for FAFSA on the Web. Separate and unique PIN numbers are required for students and parents (of dependent students). Be sure to keep these PIN number(s) as you will need them to file the FAFSA each year, sign federal loan applications, and access your student aid history online.

2. File the FAFSA after October 1st for the upcoming year. Be sure to include The College of Saint Rose school code–002705.

3. New York State residents must complete the express TAP application (ETA) online immediately following submission of the FAFSA. Be sure to include The College of Saint Rose school code–0140.

For all incoming Freshmen & Transfer Students entering in the Fall term, your FAFSA should be completed by October 1st in order to be considered for any need-based aid. Any new student accepted for the Spring term should have their FAFSA completed by November 1. Returning students should file their FAFSA by May 1. Delays can cause reduction or complete loss of some sources of aid.

A Financial Aid Package is a listing, produced by the College, of all grants, scholarships, and loans that a student might receive from Federal, State, and College sources. The total amount of aid awarded is based on the student’s demonstrated need for a given year. Students must file the FAFSA each year to qualify for need based assistance.

Award letters are mailed or emailed from the Office of Financial Aid. The letter outlines your financial aid package. It advises students of their rights and responsibilities as a financial aid recipient.

For all accepted students, the award letters are sent out in late February. If your FAFSA is received later than February 15, you can expect to receive your award letter within 2 weeks after it has been sent to us by the federal processor. Returning students receive notice of financial aid packages via email beginning in May.

No. You may submit the FAFSA after October 1st, regardless of your application status. However, you will not receive an award letter until you have been officially accepted by the College.

Yes. All students should apply for financial aid. Financial aid comes from various sources (college, federal & state). You are also required to file the FAFSA if you intend to take out a government loan. When in doubt, fill it out.

No. Although accurate information is important when filing the FAFSA, you are allowed to estimate income figures. Once your taxes have been completed, you will need to go back and update the FAFSA with the appropriate figures.

In the event that your parents are separated or divorced you will need to report the data for the custodial parent (not necessarily the parent that claims you on their tax return). The custodial parent is the parent with whom you resided the most in the past 12 months. In the event that you did not live with your parents or they have shared, equal custody, report the parent that provided the most financial support during the past 12 months.

The federal government has established strict guidelines regarding dependent/independent status. You may be considered an independent student if you meet any of the following criteria:

•you are at least 24 years of age
•you are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces
•you are married or have a legal dependent other than a spouse
•you are an orphan or ward of the court
Parent data is necessary if you do not meet any of the above situations.

You must notify the financial aid office of all outside awards. Your financial aid package may need to be adjusted to include this award. In the event that your package does change, you will be sent a new award letter.

Yes. It is required every year since eligibility may change. After your first year you will fill out the FAFSA Renewal Application which contains preprinted information from the prior years FAFSA.

No. The College of Saint Rose does not base its admissions decisions on a student’s financial aid status. After the separate admissions decision is made, the Office of Financial Aid will review the data reported on the FAFSA and mail a Financial Aid Award Letter.

Alternative/Private Student Loans are those loans not offered by the federal government, but offered by various banks for educational purposes. Such loans are subject to approval based upon credit history and do not follow federal rules or guidelines. Students must be at least 18 years old to apply for Private Student Loans.

Yes. While a payment plan does not come in the form of financial aid, it is a great way to spread out your remaining semester balance. Click here to visit The College of Saint Rose payment center for payment plan information.

Student’s must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) in order to continue to receive financial aid. Please refer to the latest Undergraduate Catalog for more information about SAP. Also, be advised that the criteria differ for federal, state, and institutional aid.

If a student drops from all courses prior to the end of the add/drop period, all tuition liability will be eliminated, and all financial aid will be returned to the appropriate source(s). Once the add/drop period ends, a student only has the option of withdrawing, at which time both tuition liability and financial aid eligibility will be prorated. Please refer to the Undergraduate Catalog for a more detailed explanation of the financial aid refund calculation.