Honoring our 2022 Graduates
KEY POINTS ON THE CEREMONY
When: May 14 at 10 a.m. Doors open two hours prior to the start of the ceremony.
Where: MVP Arena (formerly the Times Union Center), 51 S. Pearl Street, Albany
Guest tickets: At this time, there are no capacity limits and tickets are not required.
COVID-19 protocols for graduates and guests: COVID-related requirements are subject to change based on current pandemic conditions. As of February 11, masks, proof of vaccination, or a negative test result are NOT required to enter the arena.
Livestream: The ceremony will be livestreamed. You’ll find it on commencement day by going to the homepage of the Saint Rose website.
But … I have so many questions: Find parking info, graduate arrival details, and more below.
- Apply to graduate: It doesn’t happen automatically. Here are the instructions on how to apply. Not sure if you’re eligible. See the Check Your Graduation Status section for how to know.
- After you’re confirmed as graduating, be sure to let us know you plan to attend the ceremony. Fill out this form to let us know you will be attending the ceremony.
- Fill out this form to be featured in our online graduate gallery. Please note that your submission won’t automatically appear and may take a few days to be posted.
- Head to HireStrose and create your sign-in if you haven’t already. It only takes a minute, and you’ll just need your student ID number (which we’re pretty sure you have memorized by now). Once you log on, you’ll be prompted to take a short career survey. We want to be able to track the great jobs you’re getting – or get you set up to tell us about it when you land one! This is important to making sure we’re well preparing you well for the career world.
- Are you an undergrad in the Class of 2022? Be sure to check out the Senior Week Activities section and plan to celebrate with your class.
- Want a senior photo? Find that info below under Senior Photos.
- Order your cap and gown. See details under Graduation Attire.
- Arrive at the ceremony and be ready to celebrate YOU. See Graduate Arrival section for more information.
CHECK YOUR GRADUATION STATUS
You can check your graduation status in DegreeWorks.
Under Graduation Status, you will see one of four statuses. Here’s what they mean:
APP: Means you applied/we have received the degree application. It is being reviewed.
PEN: This means you’re approved for graduation assuming successful completion of your current courses.
NOK: This means you are not approved for graduation, and you have outstanding degree requirements to meet.
WLK: This means you are scheduled to complete your degree in August but are eligible to participate in the May commencement ceremony.
Honors: Please note that honors, such as Summa cum laude, are only granted at the bachelor’s degree level. There are no honors at the graduate level.
At the time of the ceremony, grades are not yet in for the spring semester, so honors at commencement are based upon work completed prior. A student’s final honors, which includes their last semester, will appear on their diploma along with their degree. Diplomas are mailed in July. Final honors, academic major, and degree will appear on the final transcript. GPAs for honors are as follows: Summa cum laude 3.9-4.0, Magna cum laude 3.7-3.89, and Cum laude 3.5-3.69.
Need help? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 518.458.5464
2022 commencement speaker
Sanjay Shrestha, general manager of energy solutions and chief strategy officer at Plug Power and a 1997 graduate of The College of Saint Rose, will deliver the commencement address at the College’s 2022 commencement ceremony on May 14. Shrestha will be granted an honorary doctor of humane letters in recognition of his accomplishments and contributions to society.
Shrestha, who holds a bachelor’s degree in finance from Saint Rose, has dedicated his career to helping the growing renewable energy industry evolve by implementing clean technologies, notably green hydrogen and fuel cells, wherever he works. Over the last two decades, he has brought his passion for creating a healthier environment to a number of businesses, including First Albany Capital, Lazard Capital Markets, FBR Capital Markets, and Sky Capital America.
In 2019, Shrestha joined the leadership team of the Capital Region-based Plug Power, a rapidly expanding company focused on building the global green hydrogen economy. In November 2021, he was named Strategist of the Year by the Albany Business Review for his leadership there.
Read more about Shrestha here.
There are two ways that you can order your cap and gowns for this year’s graduation. The College of Saint Rose Campus Store is offering both in-store ordering and online pickup.
The bookstore will accept orders for caps and gowns through May 11.
Ordering in store: Ordering in store is the easiest way to order your regalia since you have the added benefit of our associates to help you with any questions you may have. An order form will be sent out to students that can be filled out ahead of time. Orders can also be placed in store and will be available for pickup at the campus store starting April 25.
Order online: Online ordering is the most convenient way to order your regalia, as you can do it at any time and from anywhere. You can order directly from our store website. You will receive an email when your order has been processed and is ready to be picked up.
All regalia preorders can happen anytime going forward, and order pickup will begin on April 25.
Cords and stoles:
Below is information about some of the cords and stoles available to those graduates who qualify.
Please note that individual honors societies and organizations may have their own cords and stoles, and the distribution of those is at the discretion of those organizations.
Cords for undergraduate academic honors:
Eligibility: Students who achieve cum laude, magna cum laude, or summa cum laude are eligible to receive a cord in the colors that signify their achievement.
Honors are as follows:
- Summa cum laude cumulative GPA 3.9-4.0 (black and gold double cords)
- Magna cum laude cumulative GPA 3.7-3.89 (white and gold double cords)
- Cum laude cumulative GPA 3.5-3.69 (single white cord)
At the time of the ceremony, grades are not yet in for the spring semester, so honors at the commencement are based upon work completed prior. A student’s final honors will appear on their diploma along with their degree. Final honors, your academic major, and degree will appear on your final transcript.
Please note that this status is based on cumulative GPA (not like the Dean’s List, which is based on GPA by semester). The campus bookstore will confirm your status when you pick up your cords.
Where/when to pick up: Cords for academic honors will be available in the Saint Rose bookstore beginning Monday, May 9. There will also be a bookstore table at the commencement ceremony with extra caps and gowns, where students can pick up cords the morning of the ceremony.
Kente stoles and rainbow tassels:
- Kente stoles are available for ALANA (African/African American, Latino, Asian, and Native American) graduates.
- Rainbow tassels are available for students who are members of Identity.
Where to pick up: Kente stoles and rainbow tassels will be available for pick-up in the Student Development office in the Events and Athletics Center (EAC) on Wednesday, May 11, from 3 to 4:30 p.m. If you cannot make this time, please contact Chief Diversity Officer Yolanda Caldwell at email@example.com to arrange a pick-up time.
DIRECTIONS AND PARKING
The address for MVP Arena is: 51 South Pearl Street, Albany, NY 12207
We recommend parking in the garage located directly behind MVP Arena, which provides direct, covered access to this building on the Concourse level (for this event it is the main guest entrance and also where wheelchair and special needs seating is located). Ushers will be available to assist with seating at this parking garage entrance to the arena. The fee for parking is $5. Entry to this garage is directly off of Market Street just before you reach Eagle Street.
- Graduates must enter through Beaver Street entrance of the MVP Arena.
- Doors will open two hours prior to the start of the ceremony.
- If you’re having trouble figuring out how to wear the attire, you’re not alone. That’s why we have this video with instructions on how to wear your hood.
LINING UP AFTER ARRIVAL
- When you arrive, you will be given a card that includes your name and a number that corresponds to your place in the procession and degree-receiving line. You will be asked to locate your number on a ribbon taped to the floor in the line-up area and to stand in your spot in the appropriate line by 9:15 a.m. Please do not bring extra items such as hangers, coats, purses, etc. You may not have the same seat after you process across stage, so don’t leave anything at your seat. The College does not assume responsibility for valuables.
- All students need to line up according to the number of their cards. Your line placement is by school, degree, and alphabetical order. If you are out of place, guests and those watching the livestream may miss you crossing the stage. Staying in order will also assist the photographers with matching the correct person to the correct photos.
YOUR TURN ON STAGE
When it is time to confer degrees, faculty marshals will direct you by rows to the ramp at the right side of the stage. As you move across the stage, you will hand your name card to the person standing at the first lectern. Your name will be announced as you walk across the stage. Continue across the stage to receive your diploma cover and are congratulated by College officials. You will exit the stage using the ramp on the left side.
- Individual graduation photos will be taken when you receive your diploma cover and after you exit the stage. The photos will be emailed by Grad Images to your Saint Rose email account. You can make your selection and purchase directly through Grad Images.
- Both a photographer and videographer will be taking photos/video during the ceremony for the College’s social media. Share your photos on social using the hashtag #strosegraduate. Saint Rose graduation-themed profile pic frames and GIFs will be available for Facebook and Instagram on this page as the ceremony nears.
ADDITIONAL CEREMONY DETAILS
MVP Arena security: MVP Arena has security procedures for all events held at their facility, which include metal detectors, bag searches, limitation of allowed bag size, and if needed, pat downs.
ADA accessibility: Graduating students who require seating/walking or other accommodations for themselves (i.e., ADA accessible seating, sign language interpreter, assistance crossing stage, etc.), should contact Tina McMahon in the Events Scheduling and Administration office as soon as possible at 518.454.5171 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
We suggest that any guests with mobility limitations that are unable to walk long distances or climb stairs use a wheelchair. Wheelchairs are not available at the MVP Arena. Please consider borrowing or renting one if your guest does not own one. Limited accessible seating will be available upon entering the arena on a first-come, first-served basis. Please check in with one of our ADA tables upon arrival for assistance.
Cameras: Please note, MVP Arena has made an exception to its usual policy, and cameras will be allowed at commencement.
Rehearsal: There is no rehearsal for commencement.
Diplomas: Class of 2022 graduates who completed their degrees in December 2021 will receive them by mid-April. For May and August graduates, final verification of degree requirements will not be completed prior to commencement day. So, those who complete their degree requirements in May and August, will receive only a diploma case at the ceremony. Diplomas are mailed. Please be sure to clear any holds (financial, library, athletic, parking, etc.). A diploma or transcript will not be issued if you have any outstanding obligations to the College.
Wifi at MVP Arena: Free WIFI is brought to you by Family Danz. Once you arrive, find and connect to the available network labeled MVP free WIFI by Family Danz
Restroom availability: There are large restrooms located at three of the four corners of the arena.
On-site florist: There will be a florist on site to provide flowers for your graduates.
iSmile Studios will be on campus April 20-23 to take senior portraits. There is no booking fee, but photos are available for purchase and will be available in an online gallery within one week of your portrait session. Portrait sessions take approximately 30 minutes.
Book your senior portrait appointment online here.
A representative from Jostens will be on campus on April 27 and 28 from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. They will be at the tables outside of the Camelot Room to help students place orders for class rings.
SENIOR WEEK ACTIVITIES
The Student Events Board will host Senior Week May 9 through 13. Below is a tentative schedule with more planned as the big day gets closer!
Monday, May 9: Kindness from the seniors
Leave your mark on Saint Rose by painting stones and canvases with kind phrases or images. You can either take them home or place them around campus.
Tuesday, May 10: Senior Carnival
Enjoy carnival games, prizes, snacks, and more!
Wednesday, May 11: Decorate Your Grad Cap
You bring your cap and talent, and the craft supplies will be provided.
Thursday, May 12: Senior Casino Night
Play casino games and win prizes!
Friday, May 13: Senior Brunch and Bingo
Have brunch on the quad with round after round of bingo. A senior collage will be posted at this event so the students can take their photos/memories.
Find the Class of 2022 Graduate Gallery here, where those earning undergraduate or graduate degrees in December 2021 or May or August 2022 can complete the form and upload your photo to be included. Please note that your submission won’t automatically appear and may take a few days to be posted.
COMMENCEMENT CEREMONY VIDEO
The link to access a recording of the commencement ceremony will be available on this page when it’s ready.