What benefits are provided under the Post – 9/11 GI Bill?
The U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) provides the following information about benefits:
- Payments are based on length of service
- A tuition and fee payment that is paid to your school on your behalf
- A Monthly Housing Allowance (MHA) that is equal to:
- The basic allowance for housing (BAH) payable for the zip code of your school to a military E-5 with dependents for students pursuing resident training
- One-half the BAH national average for students training solely by distance learning
- The national average BAH for students pursuing training at foreign schools
How can I apply for my Post 9/11 GI Bill VA education benefits?
The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs suggests the following:
- Go to https://benefits.va.gov/gibill/ and apply today.
- Visit your nearest VA regional office to apply in person.
- Call 1-888-GI BILL-1 (888-442-4551) to have the application mailed to you.
If you have any questions about the application process, please reach out to our Director of Veteran Enrollment Marty Dinan for guidance/help with the application. You can reach Marty at 518-458-5364.
Am I eligible?
According to U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, you may be eligible if you served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty after September 10, 2001. Learn more about your eligibility.
Can I transfer my benefits to my spouse or children?
According to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, the transferability option under the Post-9/11 GI Bill allows service members to transfer all or some unused benefits to their spouse or dependent children.
Click here to find out how.
What is the Yellow Ribbon Program?
According to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, the Post-9/11 GI Bill can cover all in-state tuition and fees at public degree granting schools, but may not cover all private degree granting schools and out-of-state tuition. The Yellow Ribbon Program provides additional support in those situations and is available to all recipients that are receiving 100% of the Post 9/11 GI Bill.
Learn more about the Yellow Ribbon Program.