Skip to Main Content

In order for a citizen of a foreign country to study in the United States they will have to apply for a visa. There are many types of visas but for the purpose of study students must obtain one of the following:

Visa regulations vary by country of citizenship so please refer to the U.S. Department of State website for detailed information.

F-1: An F-1 Visa permits a foreign student to enter the U.S. for the primary purpose of studying. An F-2 student must meet the requirements of eligibility by gaining admission to a school which has been SEVIS approved by the Department of Homeland Security, provides a financial guarantee by providing proof of financial support, and meets all required academic standards and English proficiency as required by the school. F-1 students must be enrolled in a full-time course load and are eligible for employment on campus. F-1 students may not work outside of campus unless they are enrolled in CPT or OPT. F-1 students receive a Form I-20 or “Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant (F-1) Student Status – For Academic and Language Students.”

J-1: A student with a J-1 visa must be enrolled in a work/study based exchange visitor program. The purpose of a J-1 is for students to gain training in a field that is not offered in their home country. J-1 students will receive a Form DS-2019 or “Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) Status”

H-4: An H-4 visa is issued to a person whom is a dependent on their family members H1 visa.  They are able to study on an H-4 but they are not eligible for employment. If a student wishes to seek employment on an H-4 they must first switch to F-1. H-4 students with also receive a Form I-20.

Once you have been accepted to Saint Rose, confirmed your intent to study and provided the proper financial documents we will send you your I-20 or DS-2019. Upon receipt of your documents you will make your visa appointment with the U.S. Consulate in your home country to interview for a student visa. After your visa is approved you are welcome to enter the U.S. 30 days prior to the start date of your program listed on your I-20 or DS-2019.

Saint Rose is committed to assisting our international students with all admissions process including transferring from an alternative College to join us here at Saint Rose. The first step is to simply apply. Once you receive your acceptance letter you must submit it along with the Transfer Release Form to the International Admissions office of the College holding your SEVIS record. Our team will take it from there!