The Special Studies option retains the flexible dimension of the Interdepartmental Studies major. Under this option, students are able to design their own major by combining two clusters of at least 18-24 credits each or three clusters of at least 12-18 credits each. All students interested in participating in the Interdepartmental Studies Program must complete an application form prior to formally enrolling in this major. Application/program requirements include:
- Students write a narrative demonstrating how the Interdepartmental Studies program, specifically the combination of the two or three disciplines specific to their Interdepartmental Studies program, will contribute to their career and life goals.
- Students develop a formal plan of study, in conjunction with the Academic Advising Office.
- The Plan of Study must include progression from 100 to 400 level courses.
- Students must successfully complete the College-wide Liberal Education Requirements.
- A capstone is required for completion of the program.
- Once the application narrative and Plan of Study are prepared, students are responsible for meeting with the departments chairs representing the disciplines included in their Interdepartmental Studies program, as well as the appropriate school deans, in order to review and gain approval for their Program of Study.