Gerald Corbin

Throughout the semester, we’re introducing our new additions to the Saint Rose faculty.

Dr. Gerald Corbin 

Title: Assistant professor of school counseling

Previous position: School counselor, San Mateo, California

Education:  Ph.D., counselor education, Adler University, Chicago

Teaching at Saint Rose: School counseling collaboration, technology in school counseling, and counseling skills

Academic specialty: School counseling

Where he is from and how he became interested in school counseling: I am from the Bay Area, California. I became interested in school counseling through my own experiences as a student and working with various educational counselors.

His academic scholarship: My most recent study examined the perceptions of middle school counselors regarding the support they receive to serve LGBTQ students. I also have interest in contributing to the counselor education literature.

How he will strengthen learning at Saint Rose: I use my career experience in my teaching and apply real life experiences to theory.

Why school counseling is particularly important for students: The school counseling profession has changed over the last two decades. Schools, communities, and other stakeholders are starting to recognize the value of school counselors and how we assist students academically, social and emotionally, and with college and career readiness.

What drew him Saint Rose: Saint Rose clearly has a dedication to the counseling profession. This is proved by their recent CACREP accreditation. I was also glad to see a school counseling professor position was sought after.

Nonacademic interests he will pursue in Albany: I am very interested in the Tulip Festival! Also, as a California native, I never really experienced winter and found that I absolutely loved it when I lived in Chicago.