Skip to Main Content

Rebecca Robinson

Throughout the summer, we’re introducing our new additions to the Saint Rose faculty.

Rebecca Robinson

Title: Assistant professor, head of library instruction and research services

Previous position: Interim instruction and reference librarian at Saint Rose

Education: State University of New York at Albany, MS in Information Science; Skidmore College, BS in Psychology

Teaching/responsibilities at Saint Rose: My main responsibilities include teaching information literacy instruction for students in all academic disciplines and leading a team to provide research support for students and faculty on campus.

Academic specialty: I am interested in critical librarianship with a focus on diversity, equity, and inclusion in libraries.

Where are you from and how did you become interested in librarianship? I grew up in Newton, Massachusetts, and have always had a love for books and libraries! I worked in my college’s library as an undergraduate and found the academic library environment rewarding and enjoyable, which cemented my interest in librarianship.

How will you use your work to strengthen the experience here at Saint Rose? I help students strengthen their information and media literacy skills so that they can be successful in their coursework while here at Saint Rose. I am also dedicated to creating an inclusive library experience that fosters a sense of belonging for all who visit.

Why is information literacy particularly important for students these days? Information and media literacy skills are essential to becoming a critical consumer of information. Misinformation and disinformation are abundant, and in the age of social media, these skills are crucial.

What drew you to Saint Rose? I was drawn to the small college atmosphere.

What interests do you plan to explore outside work? I am a certified dog trainer and enjoy teaching dog training classes in the evenings. I am also an avid year-round hiker.