Kaitlin Gould, assistant professor of school psychology

Throughout the summer, we’re introducing our new additions to the Saint Rose faculty.

Dr. Kaitlin Gould

Title: Assistant professor of school psychology, licensed psychologist

Previous position: Research scientist, May Institute/National Autism Center

Education: Ph.D., school psychology; BCBA-D, University of Massachusetts, Boston

Teaching at Saint Rose: Introduction to school psychology, internship seminar, social emotional assessment

Academic specialty: Behavioral assessment and intervention, consultation

Where she is from and how she became interested in school psychology: I am originally from Long Island but have lived in a few states over the last couple of years (Upstate and Downstate New York, Maryland, Massachusetts.) I became interested in school psychology as an undergrad, majoring in psychology. I didn’t know much about school psychology specifically at the time but was torn between wanting to go into clinical psychology or special education for my graduate studies. When I learned about school psychology, it seemed like the perfect blend.

Her academic scholarship: I have served in a research role over the last two years, conducting projects focusing on parent and teacher training for behavioral interventions. Generally, my research interests include behavioral intervention, neurodiversity, and intervention acceptability.

How she will strengthen learning at Saint Rose: I think I will bring a strong behavioral perspective that isn’t currently present. I also hope to help expand student access to behavioral training and credentialing.

Why is learning about school psychology particularly important for students these days: School psychologists really are essential members of any and every school team. They are often the go-to person in a school building for any number of questions. Knowing the role of a school psychologist would greatly benefit anyone within the education world, even just as a resource, if nothing else.

What drew her to Saint Rose: I love Saint Rose’s emphasis on teaching and education, as well as helping to mold fantastic clinicians.

Hobbies or interests: I’m not necessarily good at it, but I really enjoy art. I’m hoping to get into that a bit more. I also love theater and would love to get down to Proctors more often!