2011 Saint Rose women's soccer team

“We are in the history books for that victory.”

In the 15 years since Head Coach Laurie Darling Gutheil built a Saint Rose women’s soccer team from nothing in 1996, momentum had built.

By the late 1990s, wins topped losses and the Golden Knights set its sights on the NCAA Tournament. They made it in 2002, got to the Sweet 16 the following year, and, in 2008, 2009, and 2010, the semifinals. Each time they came up short – even losing to Grand Valley State in overtime after building a 2-0 lead.

The sights were clearly set on the national title. But, 2011 was not supposed to be the year. Key players had just graduated, leaving a younger roster. The team did not post its best win-loss record. Nonetheless, this is the team that got through to the finals. On December 3, 2011, they faced defending national champions Grand Valley State in Pensacola, Florida.

Entering the second half, Grand Valley was ahead. But the Golden Knights soon scored twice, leaving the remainder of the second half to feel agonizingly slow to the Saint Rose team. This time, it was Grand Valley State that suffered heartbreak when Saint Rose came from behind to claim the title 2-1.

The College will celebrate the 10th anniversary of that victory, while today’s Golden Knights get ready for postseason play and big goals. Here are the thoughts of players on the 2011 national champion team and what they are doing today:

Britt Barry, Saint Rose women's soccer player

BRITTANY BARRY ’11, FORWARD
Major: Early childhood education
Hometown: Springfield, Massachusetts
Current location: LaQuinta, California
Job: Concierge, PGA West (golf resort)

Reaction to winning the national title?
It felt like a dream come true!

How has Saint Rose contributed to your life on and off the field?
I learned what I wanted to do in life and how to achieve my goals. I have gained confidence in making friends in any environment.

Is soccer still part of your life?
Soccer is still my favorite sport.

SYDNEY BOND ’14, MIDFIELD
Major: Criminal justice, behavior, and law
Hometown: Deer Park, New York
Current location: Queens, New York
Job: Applying to graduate schools to obtain a master’s in public health; also taking prerequisites to enter a midwifery program. “I plan on becoming a certified nurse midwife/women’s health nurse practitioner. It has been a long journey to this point, but I’m excited for what the future holds.”

Reaction to winning the national title?
It was surreal!

It provided me with the discipline to understand my priorities. Especially now, I’m juggling a lot with my work and school schedule but know how to manage my time because of my experiences as a college athlete.

Is soccer part of your life?
I haven’t played soccer in a few years, but I do miss playing. Soccer will always be a part of my life even when I’m not playing. I hope to get back out there soon, but in the meantime, I have picked up playing tennis. It’s been interesting to switch to a sport that doesn’t have the same team dynamic, but I enjoy how different it is.

Saint Rose students holding "Congratulations NCAA DIV II Champions" sign out side of campus

MARISAH BOUCHER ’13, MIDFIELD
Major: Elementary education
Hometown: Cheyenne, Wyoming
Current location: Saratoga Springs, New York
Job: First-grade teacher, Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake Central School District

Reaction to winning the national title?
Pure excitement.

Is soccer still part of your life?
I coach the girls’ varsity soccer team.

KIM BYER ’12, CENTER MIDFIELD
Major: Business administration
Hometown: Westerly, Rhode Island
Current location: Boston
Job: Director of marketing and membership, Collegiate and Professional Sports Dietitians Association

Reaction to winning the national title?
The 2011 team had the most drive and desire to win. We lost so many talented players in the few years leading up to that team but we had the most heart and chemistry and that ultimately led to our success. At the start of preseason, there were a lot of doubts. But we came together and fought until the end. Watching the clock count down the final 10 seconds of the championship game was the best feeling ever.

Being a part of such an established, well-respected program definitely molded me into the person I am today. I learned what dedication, commitment, and sacrifice mean, and what can happen when a collective group of people come together with a common goal.

Is soccer still part of your life?
I played for a while after college in a couple adult recreation leagues, then took some time off after a few cross-country moves. I just started again, and I am playing with my former roommate and teammate, Derith Fernandes!

CHRISTINA CUFFARI ’12, CENTER MIDFIELD
Major: Business administration
Hometown: Brick, New Jersey
Current location: Branford, Connecticut
Current job: Director of sales technology, Prudential Financial

Reaction to winning the national title?
FINALLY! I couldn’t imagine leaving Saint Rose and stepping away from soccer without it!

My time at Saint Rose gifted me with my favorite memories and my favorite people. All of the friends I’ve made during my time at Saint Rose play such an important part of my life and have helped shape who I am today.

Is soccer still part of your life?
I play co-ed indoor soccer for fun in Connecticut.

NICOLA D’ERRICO ’12, RIGHT BACK
Major: Communications
Hometown: Shrewsbury, Massachusetts
Current location: Boston
Current job: Global marketing manager, Logitech

Reaction to winning the national title?
It’s one of my proudest moments to this day! How amazing it was to have that be the last game of my collegiate career. Couldn’t be sweeter!

My time at Saint Rose allowed me to create a safe space for myself to learn not only who I was but more importantly who I wanted to be. I took risks, failed at things, succeeded at others, learned what it took to be a leader and busted my butt to reach my goals. I wouldn’t be where I am today without all of those experiences.

Is soccer still part of your life?
It’s been a couple of years since I’ve played, but I am always open to getting back out there when the time is right. I’ve been filling my days lately with other outdoor activities like hiking, rock climbing, surfing, running, and general exercise!

2011 Saint Rose women's soccer team in a game

GIANNA D’ERRICO ’12, STRIKER
Major: Biology
Hometown: Shrewsbury, Mass.
Current location: Boston
Current job: Doctor of Chiropractic

Reaction to winning the national title?
The best collection of players, coaches, trainers, and staff that worked harder together that year above anyone else. Sweetest moment to win amongst everyone involved that year.

Being that it was a smaller and colorful community, it helped me to learn how to integrate myself and effectively build relationships with different people. I often find it now easy to connect with patients of all different backgrounds and lifestyles from that experience.

Is soccer still part of your life?
I played on a women’s league in Boston prior to COVID! Now I weight train to stay fit for my job.

KAILEY EGBERT ’09, ASSISTANT COACH ’09 TO PRESENT; PLAYER 2005 TO 2008
Major: Biology
Hometown: Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Current location: Gansevoort, New York
Current job: Physical therapist, Saratoga Hospital

Reaction to winning the national title?
It’s about time!

It taught me that resiliency, dedication and a hard-work ethic can help unlock your greatest potential, (that) to be passionate and steadfast in your achieving your goals will lead to greatness.

Is soccer still part of your life?
(As far as playing) I would like to consider myself semi-retired. Jason (Assistant Coach Jason Gutheil) said I could at 35.

DERITH FERNANDES ’12, OUTSIDE BACK
Major: Biology
Hometown: Billerica, Massachusetts
Current location: Billerica, Massachusetts
Current job: Physical therapist specializing in geriatrics, working primarily with patients in the home to regain function and independence after hospitalization.

Reaction to winning the national championship?
FINALLY!

My time at Saint Rose taught me how to collaborate well with others both on the field and in the classroom. Learning to work well in groups and communicate effectively was a critical skill that I took with me to graduate school and beyond. Additionally, being at Saint Rose allowed me to increase my independence and build life-long relationships. I still talk to my roommates (who were also teammates) on a near daily basis … 10 years later!

Is soccer still part of your life?
Yes! I’m thankful that Massachusetts has a great women’s league that is full of former college players. It allows us to continue to play for fun, while also remaining pretty competitive!

LAURA GATEWOOD ’14, MIDFIELD
Major: Business administration
Hometown: Auburn, New York
Current location: Auburn, New York
Current job: Project manager at MEDENT medical software company

Words that would be inappropriate for this questionnaire, but it was pure happiness and excitement!

My time at Saint Rose contributed to my growth as a person by teaching me that in order to be successful in life you have to work hard every single day and be a team player.

Is soccer part of your life?
I played indoor soccer a few years ago but after a couple teammates got injured and one even tore their ACL, we all decided we better hang up the cleats! Soccer is still part of my life though. My daughter started her first program this past summer.

members of the 2011 saint rose women's soccer team celebrating on the field

JESSICA GERSKI ’13, GOAL KEEPER
Major: Communications
Hometown: Harbor City, California
Current location: Boston
Current job: Corporate operations, 3Step Sports, youth sports event and club operator

Holy s***, we won!

It actually helped me see that I thrive in a small family-like community. When I worked for a big company, I didn’t feel like I was part of something. Saint Rose taught what I need to be a successful individual.

Is soccer still part of your life?
I play in coed leagues and sometimes with my former Saint Rose teammates; coach soccer at an all-girls high school. I have also picked up rowing and just recently got to row on the Charles.

MOLLY HARPSTER ’13, DEFENSE
Major: Biology
Hometown: Aurora, Colorado
Current location: Foxfield, Colorado
Current job: Patient care manager

Amazing! An experience that will stay with me forever.

AOIFE HERBERT ’11, G’12, FORWARD/WINGER
Major: Communications
Hometown: Killala, County Mayo
Current location: London
Current job: Secondary (high school) teacher

It’s really nice that the 2011 national title is something we will remember always and that we are in the history books for that victory. Many great teams came before us, and indeed many after, so it is a big honor to have gotten over the line, to have secured the victory and to always have the memories.

Immensely. It takes a tremendous amount of resilience and dedication to reach the Final Four in any given year. I try to draw on that from time to time in my own life even now. Off the pitch, I have such fond memories of the people there. Americans have a unique and refreshing optimistic and sometimes extroverted spirit which I learned to love. I left the States having adopted some of that energy and confidence, which I will always appreciate. I am so tremendously grateful to have had the opportunity to live in a completely different culture and to play on such a fantastic team, both of which contributed to my growth as a person.

Is soccer still part of your life?
After Saint Rose I played competitively in New York City for NYAC which was incredible, and a couple of years later I played in France and in Ireland at a decent level. But in recent years, I just get my soccer kicks from watching my beloved Liverpool F.C every week and playing some 5-a-side at school. I box during the winter and play some Gaelic football also. Sport will always be a very big part of my life, for sure.

BRITTANY HOUCK ’11, CENTER MIDFIELD
Major: Biology
Hometown: Rochester, New York
Current location: Rochester, New York
Current job: Home care physical therapist, University of Rochester medical system

I can’t believe we did it! Being a senior that year it was truly such a meaningful accomplishment and such an amazing way to end my college soccer career.

My time at Saint Rose has shaped me into the person I am today! It has taught me not to take things for granted and be grateful, as life is short! Also, going to the Final Four three times prior and not winning was super disappointing. However, it taught me to never give up how hard work does pay off.

Is soccer still part of your life?
Yes, I still play soccer. I just can’t give it up! It will always be a part of my life.

CARMELINA IMENEO (PUOPOLO) ’14, FORWARD
Major: Childhood education
Hometown: Scarborough, Ontario
Current location: Scarbrough, Ontario
Current job: Teacher

It truly felt surreal. When I came to Saint Rose, the expectation was to make it to the Final Four and ultimately, win a National Championship. I am so fortunate to be able to say that I was a part of that magic. Magic that I wish I could relive and feel that glory all over again. If I could think back to my first thought as the clock went down to zero, I just wanted to be with my teammates. I felt completely exhausted and felt like I put everything I had into winning that game, and so did my teammates. I remember running towards our goal where all my teammates were running to celebrate together, but I stopped at one of my teammates who was bending over, Gianna D’Errico. She was feeling exhausted just like I was, but more importantly, happiness and joy. I remember bending over and telling her, “G, we did it.”

I was a very shy person when I first came to Saint Rose. I was also very homesick as I was in a different country with people I did not know. It was the first time I was away and living on my own, and I knew I wasn’t able to go home. It was a six-hour drive to Saint Rose from where I live, so knowing I would not be able to see my family all the time was a huge adjustment for me. I did make some of my best friends from Saint Rose that I still talk to today, and they will continue to be my friends for the rest of our lives.

Soccer definitely helped me. It has always been there for me, and continues to be there for me especially when I need it most. I grew so much as a person during my time at Saint Rose, and I am forever grateful for the opportunity to be a Golden Knight as well as a national champion.

Is soccer still part of your life?
I am still playing soccer today. I don’t think I can stop. It is something I’ve been doing since I’ve been 4 years old. I am currently playing in a co-ed league with my husband and a few of our friends. I will always have soccer in my life and will continue on when I have children.

HANNA LINDSTROM ’11, MIDFIELD
Major: Marketing
Hometown: Malmö, Sweden
Current location: West Palm Beach, Florida
Current job: Director of events and experience for a company that does event planning and influencer marketing for big tech companies

Did this actually just happen?

Helped me become self-sufficient and independent.

Is soccer still part of your life?
I play soccer for Port Saint Lucy United in United Premier Soccer League.

2011 NCAA national champion women's soccer team reunion

MEAGAN LYONS (MCKINNEY) ’13, DEFENDER, CAPTAIN
Major: Childhood education
Hometown: Kennewick, Washington
Current location: Boise, Idaho
Current job: Seventh-grade math teacher

It was amazing! After coming up short the previous years, it was very exciting to finish out the season and get the job done to win the national championship.

How has Saint Rose contributed to your growth on and off the field?
I left my home in Washington as a wide-eyed 17 year old headed across the country to pursue my dream of playing college soccer and becoming a teacher. I met some amazing coaches, teammates, teammate families, professors and classmates and worked harder than I ever imagined I could both in soccer and in school. Coming to Saint Rose afforded me the opportunity to see the beautiful Eastern United States, as well as travel to Europe with my teammates creating so many wonderful memories and a desire to travel far and wide. I left Saint Rose as a confident adult who was ready to take on the next adventure.

Is soccer still part of your life?
I no longer play soccer but have spent many years coaching since college. I coached club soccer for three years, volunteer coached at Boise State University, and then moved on to coach varsity girls’ soccer at Bishop Kelly High School in Boise. Over four years, we went 73-1-2, won two state titles, and were nationally ranked in the top 10 for high school girls’ soccer in 2019. I hope to resume my coaching career when my daughter (age 5 months) gets a little older.

Roadside digital sign that says 2011 National Champions

KYRA MELI, ’15, DEFENSE
Major: Forensic psychology
Hometown: Rockaway Beach, New York
Current location: Denver
Current job: Federal air marshal, U.S. Department of Homeland Security

It was one of the best memories and experiences of my life! The 2011 team will always have a special place in my heart.

My time at Saint Rose certainly helped me develop into the person I am today. Besides earning a degree, I made amazing lifelong friends. Going to college away from home made me more independent, and made my transition into adulthood easier. I learned great communication skills and how to network and connect with people – which is something I really enjoy! My time at Saint Rose helped me find myself and my purpose, it shaped my identity and helped me choose a career path.

Is soccer still part of your life?
I don’t currently play soccer. I am looking forward to finding an adult league in Denver.

I love to maintain my fitness and live an active lifestyle through CrossFit (which was introduced to me in the spring season of my junior year!); I love to spend time outdoors hiking, skiing, biking, and running.

LAQUILLA PORTER ’14, DEFENDER
Major: Business
Hometown: Kennewick, Washington
Current location: Pasco, Washington
Current job: Leave of absence coordinator in human resources, Central Plateau Cleanup Company

It was such an exciting experience to be a part of! Being able to watch my team win was one of the best times!

I was able to mature so much as a young woman and figure out who I am as a person. I was also able to become more independent.

Is soccer still part of your life?
It’s been about two years since I’ve played soccer.

RENAE RANSDELL ’05, CURRENT ASSISTANT COACH AND FORMER PLAYER
Major: Communications
Hometown: Richland, Washington
Current location: Suffield, Connecticut
Current job: Senior vice president, Thomson Financial Management

Finally! It’s been a long road.

Challenging situations are part of life. How you respond is so much of what determines how big an impact it has on you. My time in college and as part of the coaching staff allowed me to face various challenges time and again and learn to respond appropriately to the moment.

Is soccer part of your life?
I coached and played for many years but retired in 2012. My 3- and 4-year-olds are now playing in their first season together.

LAUREN ROWLAND ’08, ASSISTANT COACH, FORMER PLAYER
Major: History/political science
Hometown: Hopewell Junction, New York
Current location: Wilton, Connecticut
Current job: Financial advisor, Stamford, Connecticut

We finally did it! All our hard work paid off.

I knew that I wanted to play soccer, but also focus on academics. Saint Rose provided that opportunity. I was able to play in one of the toughest DII conferences in the country and graduate with a degree that ultimately helped me reach my goal of working in NYC for a major investment firm.

Is soccer still part of your life?
While I haven’t played soccer in the last few years, I have run multiple half marathons and the NYC Marathon in 2018.

Allison Schmidt wedding photo with members of Saint Rose 2011 women's soccer team

ALLISON SCHMIDT ’14, MIDFIELD
Major: Childhood education
Hometown: Amityville, New York
Current location: Amityville, New York
Current job: First-grade teacher

Once in a lifetime experience! Awesome feeling to be part of the first Saint Rose team to win the national championship!

Saint Rose allowed me to mature and grow as a person. I learned many life lessons that I will take with me throughout my life. It also gave me some of my best friends that are stuck with me for the long run!

Is soccer still part of your life?
I do not currently play soccer. In my previous teaching job, I coached a girls’ JV soccer team for two years. I have kept up with my love for running, and I work out almost daily (Orange Theory Fitness or outdoor runs). I also ran the NYC Marathon in 2019! It was such an incredible experience!

AMANDA SENYONJO (DECK) ’11, ASSISTANT COACH/FORMER PLAYER
Major: Criminal justice and psychology
Hometown: Syracuse, New York
Current location: Boston
Current job: Higher education administrator

Disbelief but extreme excitement!

I developed lifelong connections with my team and peers that to this day are some of my best friends. My education has provided me with the business skills to be successful in my career and throughout my personal life.

Is soccer still part of your life?
Yes, I still play, and I currently coach and recruit.

NIKI SMITH ’14, CENTER MIDFIELD
Major: Communications
Hometown: Wappingers Falls, New York
Current location: Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Current job: Marketing specialist, dental division, Zimmer Biomet, medical device company

In the moment: That was the longest/most stressful half ever, but holy crap, we finally did it! See yaaaa later Grand Valley!

Now: I cannot believe that was 10 years ago!!!!! Man we are OLD!

I believe my time at Saint Rose definitely helped me become stronger mentally, on and off the field. Academically, my confidence over time grew from my marketing classes.

Is soccer still part of your life?
I do still play soccer! I play in a competitive women’s league every week with other retired college athletes. (I actually play against/with some former NE10 athletes down here in Florida, which is pretty ironic!)

2011 Saint Rose women's soccer team posing alongside the road

JOURDAN THOMPSON ’15, DEFENSE
Major: Communications
Hometown: Brick, New Jersey
Current location: Brooklyn
Current job: Assistant district attorney – special victims unit

The first thought that comes to my mind is how overwhelmingly proud I am of my teammates.

It taught me the importance of setting high expectations and goals for yourself and pushing yourself towards them each day.

Is soccer still part of your life?
I tore my Achilles in law school competing in a co-ed league, so I’m officially retired.

STEPHANIE VANCE ’14, DEFENSE
Major: Mathematics and computer science
Hometown: Billerica, Massachusetts
Current location: Rensselaer, New York
Current job: Software engineer at a game development company

It was an incredible once in a lifetime moment shared with my teammates. All our hard work payed off, I am so proud of every member of the team and our achievement.

Being on my own for the first time helped get me out of my shell socially. I also gained a great deal of maturity and sense of responsibility which have all helped me be successful both personally and professionally.

Is soccer still part of your life?
I miss playing soccer every day, I would be playing if I could. Having to leave the team my junior year after having five concussions was one of the hardest decisions I’ve made in my life. After college, I played in some co-ed leagues knowing I wouldn’t have to worry about not heading the ball but unfortunately I tore my Achilles tendon and haven’t played since. I enjoy hiking and my spin bike, but being part of a team is something I greatly miss.