Sarah Franzken

After receiving her undergraduate degree in communication sciences and disorders (CSD), Sarah Franzken ‘20 wished and hoped God would answer her prayers to continue her education at Saint Rose. When she got accepted into the College’s master’s degree program, it was her dream come true. Faith has played an important role in Franken’s College experience: her favorite class was one where she learned about different religions, one of her favorite memories was when she traveled to Le Puy en Velay, France, to discover the history of the Sisters of St. Joseph, and one of her favorite people at Saint Rose is Joan Horgan, the director of spiritual life.

When she graduates, Franzken wants to carry out the values of the Sisters of St. Joseph and work with students at an inner-city school or with at-risk youth. We recently caught up with her to ask about her Saint Rose experience (including being on campus with her twin sister, Kayla Franzken, who’s also a student) and future plans. Here’s what she had to say:

What is your favorite memory of Saint Rose?
Leading Relay for Life with my sister Kayla back in 2018! That year, Saint Rose raised over $19,000 for the American Cancer Society. Our theme for the Relay for Life was Dr. Seuss: “One wish, two wish, I wish, you wish, for a cure!” It was truly a beautiful event, and it was even more amazing to experience it with my sister.

Another favorite memory is when my sister and I had the honor to travel to Le Puy en Velay, France, to learn about the history of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet. We went in the summer of our sophomore year and learned about the wonderful women who founded our College! They are extraordinary and have such an incredible story.

List any clubs/organizations you joined while at Saint Rose: 

• Colleges Against Cancer (2016-2020)
  • National Student Speech-Language and Hearing Association (NSSLHA)
  • Catholic Student Organization (CSO) (2016-2020)
  • Happiness Support Project (2018-2020)
  • Community Service Club
  • National Society of Leadership and Success
  • Residence Life (2017-2020)
  • Eucharistic Minister at Saint Vincent DePaul’s (2016-2020)

What have you learned through the pandemic?
I learned how important it is to check in with yourself. During this pandemic, I focused on personal growth through journaling and getting back into my daily routine of yoga. 

What was the best class you took at Saint Rose, and why?
My favorite class I took at Saint Rose was called “Sacred Place, Sacred Space.” I love learning about different religions and their sacred spaces. Learning the history of various religions has always been something I enjoyed. I also spent time with my friends, Arianna Paul, Erika Hall, and my sister Kayla. 

What are your career or grad school prospects?
I currently attend The College of Saint Rose for a Master’s in CSD. I graduate in May 2022! It is a dream of mine to be a speech-language pathologist at an inner-city school or for at-risk youth.

Why did you choose to continue your education at Saint Rose with the CSD program?
Getting into Saint Rose for graduate school was an absolute dream! I cannot express how many 11:11s I wished to continue my education here. I always joke that God got tired of my constant prayers, so He told me early that I got in. I want to carry out the mission of the Sisters to “help the dear neighbor.” 

What did Saint Rose teach you?
I learned how important our history is. The Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet are incredible and teach us to love and help our neighbors. I strive to be like them every day. 

Who is your favorite professor and why?
It is extremely difficult to choose a professor who was my favorite. I am lucky to be in a program where each professor is the best! They each have varying characteristics I love. I always feel accepted and listened to. I am grateful for all that I have learned because of them. 

Advice for incoming students:
Don’t be afraid to get to know the faculty and staff at Saint Rose. Get to know Joan Horgan, Saint Rose’s campus minister! She is one individual who has made an impact on my life forever. Joan always gives the best advice and always knows how to make you smile! 

Look for more stories about our Class of 2021 and 2020 graduates in the upcoming Saint Rose Magazine.

By Caroline Murray

Please select a valid form