Tim McAuley '01

Tim McAuley '01, founder and CEO of CHANGE Environmental, a global environmental consulting firm based in Saratoga Springs, New York, works to address the climate crisis by helping clients find solutions to environmental problems, whether it's air and water quality, environmental engineering, sustainability, or other issues.

McAuley, who is a U.S. Navy veteran, earned his BS in Biochemistry at Saint Rose before completing his MS in Chemistry and Ph.D. in Environmental Science and Engineering at Clarkson University. He’s served on committees and boards at the National Academy of Sciences in Washington, D.C., the American Chemical Society, and the United States Environmental Protection Agency.

We recently talked to him about the environmental crisis and his work in the field.

What inspired you to become an environmental strategist?
Becoming an environmental strategist was more of a need. I developed it specifically to be able to set myself and my company apart as an industry leader. In many instances, others focus strictly on regulatory or other mandates with no “outside the box” thinking or strategy that would move their clients forward. My goal with all of my clients is to push them into a direction that allows them to succeed and pushes them ahead of their competitors.

What do you love most about the work you do?
I get to see the results of strategy and hard work. It’s waking up every day knowing that I’m making a difference.

There are stories every day about the climate crisis. What gives you hope that we can find solutions?
Over time, more and more have come on board with the understanding that we are in fact in a crisis. That is part of my work and my colleagues’ work – every day the focus is on initiatives and innovations that can drive changes in management of the climate crisis. What’s most important is for everyone to understand that each of us has a role, and how we approach and deal with that role dictates the ultimate change. A crisis only becomes a crisis when no one is willing to stand forward and do what they know is right. We are seeing strong changes made in the industry; however, it’s not just short-term change alone that will lead to a stronger and more resilient climate. It’s the long-term strategy in understanding and continually innovating and seeking new ways, combined with strategic and elevated thinking that will help resolve the issues we face both now and in the future.

How did your experience at Saint Rose prepare you for your field?
The integrity and demands at Saint Rose prepared me to look at instances with varying directions to fully comprehend and understand what needed to be done. As a biochemistry major, there was never one choice that fits all, nor one decision that would deal with all the needs and the complex problems that are part of the curriculum. Classes required strategic and elevated thinking to succeed. It was Saint Rose that helped format and develop the foundation for not only my continuing education going into Clarkson University but also critical and strategic thinking that I took all the way to building a professional environmental consultancy.

What is your biggest piece of advice for students entering the field?
The biggest piece of advice I would offer to anyone entering the environmental field is to understand that what you do is a service that you provide and that you are able to leverage your expertise to make the world a better place. And to also understand that delay of gratification is one of the utmost critical parts of the work that you do in the environmental field, as it may take some time to see the results. But when you do, it is extremely rewarding.

BY FERNANDA FOX

Please select a valid form