Expand Your Teaching Skills
Saint Rose prepares extraordinary teachers.
The Saint Rose Advanced Certificate in Teaching English as a New Language is designed for educators who want to expand their teaching skills to better serve students learning English. Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) teachers are in high demand in NY and beyond and earning this certificate will lead to eligibility for NYSED certification.
Small classes, caring and dedicated professors, and rigorous preparation for classroom teaching are hallmarks of The College of Saint Rose education programs.
Fully Online Certification
With approximately 300,000 English Language Learners (ELLs) and Multilingual Learners (MLLs) in New York State schools (NYSED, 2020), now is a perfect time for teachers to become certified in TESOL. At The College of Saint Rose, certified teachers who hold a master’s degree can further develop their professional skills and credentials through a fully online Certificate of Advanced Study in TESOL. Teachers who seek a master’s degree can pursue TESOL certification through a fully online elective strand in the Curriculum and Instruction Master’s Program.
By focusing on current research, theory and experiential learning, both of these fully online certification options prepare teachers to meet the challenges and reap the rewards of teaching ELLs and MLLs in classrooms throughout New York State, the country or the world.
As a professor and NYS certified TESOL educator, I am committed to preparing teachers to meet the challenges and reap the rewards of teaching English Language Learners and Multilingual Language Learners in classrooms throughout New York State, the country and the world. At The College of Saint Rose, I’m able to do that through teacher education programs that strive to integrate research, theory and experiential learning in ways that focus on the needs of diverse learners in today’s schools.
Professor of Education
Add to your teaching skills with a fully online advanced certificate program.
- Innovative online format designed for working professionals
- Rigorous coursework aligned to 21st century teaching
- 8 week courses, sequenced so you can complete the program in less than a year.
- Expert preparation for the New York State Teacher Certification Exams (NYSTCE) and certification process.
- Renowned alumni network which is deeply connected with many schools districts.
- This Certificate of Advanced Study program is offered at a discounted rate of $600 per credit.
Study the content needed for modern day classrooms and certification in TESOL.
- Foundations of Bilingual Education
- Study of Ling/Lang Dev Tch ELL
- Methods of Teaching English Language Arts as a New Language
- Methods of Teaching English as a New Language through the Content Areas
- Advanced Field Experience in Education, TESOL Practicum
Impact the future of your students.
Rest assured, no matter where your future classroom is, you will leave Saint Rose knowing that what you do in your own classroom positively impacts students’ futures.
Listen to our alumni share their “#WhyITeach” stories, and start your path to becoming an extraordinary educator.Explore #WhyITeach
Schools Where Saint Rose Graduates Teach:
- Albany Charter School Network
- Ballston Area Community Center
- Bethlehem Central School District
- Brighter Choice Charter Schools
- Burnt Hills-Ballston Lake Central School District
- Capital Region BOCES
- City School District of Albany
- Cobleskill-Richmondville Central School District
- Cohoes City School District
- Cooperstown Central School District
- Guilderland Central School District
- Middleburgh Central School District
- Schenectady City School District
- Shenendehowa United Methodist Preschool
- South Colonie Central School District
- Troy City School District
– (Self-reported job outcome location from program completer surveys.)
Looking for initial certification?
View other master’s programs that lead to initial certification.
Contact Us Now
Of course, if you have any questions, please reach out. We’re here to help.
Sheila Flihan, Ph.D
Professor and Department Chairperson, Teacher Education
School of Education
1009 Madison Avenue
Albany, NY 12203