Skip to Main Content

The Office of Residence Life has a number of guidelines that are important for students to be aware of.  If at any time you have questions, please contact us at 518-454-5295 or  In addition to the Residence Guidelines below, it is important that students are aware of their responsibility to know and follow The College’s Community Standards, Policies and Procedures.

Right to Modify: The College reserves the right to change or add any guidelines, fees or any other information contained herein.  Students will be notified via email of any changes when they occur.

Violations of any of the guidelines listed below may result in disciplinary action.

Abandoned/Misplaced Property
Academic Engagement
Alcohol and Drug Policy
Animals and Pets 

Building Access and Security
Bulletin Boards
Care and Use of Public Spaces
Care and Use of Resident Rooms
Damage Assessment
Disposal of Sharps in the Residence Halls
Early Termination of Housing Contract or Emergency Room Changes
Emergency Hospital Transports
Extended Break Housing
Fire/Fire Safety 
Health and Safety Checks
Housing Assignments
Housing Contract
Laundry Facilities
Meal Plans
Musical Instruments
Personal Property
Quiet Hours
Room Changes
Room Check-in Procedures
Room Check-out Procedures
Room Decorations
Room Entry
Room Painting
Room Reservation
Technology and Network Acceptable Use Policy
Things to Bring
Things Not to Bring
Vending Machines
Withdrawing from Housing

Abandoned/Misplaced Property

When a student vacates any College-owned or leased space and items are left in residence hall rooms, common rooms, or storage areas, the College shall declare them abandoned and dispose of them at their own discretion.

Academic Engagement

In order to remain eligible for campus housing, students are expected to actively be engaged in their academic course work, including, but not limited to, being registered full-time and attending classes on a consistent basis.  Residence Life staff will work in partnership with Student Development and Academic Affairs to evaluate individual circumstances and determine eligibility for residence hall occupancy on an as needed basis.

Bulletin Boards

Bulletin boards are provided in the residence halls as a means for the College to communicate information to resident students. For fire safety reasons:

  • Postings should not overlap.
  • Once a week, the RA in the building or floor must purge any outdated information posted to maintain proper usage.
  • Only Residence Life staff will post on residence hall bulletin boards.
  • Destruction, defacement, or any other form of damage to bulletin boards is prohibited.

Care and Use of Public Spaces

A public space is defined as any Residence Hall area that is not designated as part of a student room. This includes, but is not limited to, bathrooms, hallways, kitchens, laundry rooms, lounge areas, and stairwells. Students are expected to show the same care, respect, and caution when using public spaces as their rooms. When property in a public space has been damaged, left unclean, or removed, students who are found to be responsible for the damaged property will be billed.  When the individual(s) responsible for the damage cannot be identified, the cost of replacement, reassembly, repair, or cleaning will be divided equally among the residents of the building, floor, or room.

Sleeping in student lounges and other public spaces is prohibited.  “Hall sports” and the use of any sports equipment is prohibited in public spaces and student rooms.

The College is not responsible for damages, loss, or theft of student-owned items stored, kept, or otherwise left unattended in public areas.

Care and Use of Resident Rooms

Students are expected to keep their rooms and common areas clean by removing trash on a regular basis, keeping food in sealed containers, etc.  If a student’s room is found to be a health risk, the student may go through the student conduct process and/or receive a cleaning fee. Non- painter’s tape, thumbtacks, nails or furnishings may not be fastened to the walls, doors, woodwork, ceilings, lamps, or furniture. If a room is in need of repair, the RA should be notified. Overhead lights, wall sockets, peep holes, smoke detectors and door number may not be covered by any posters, pictures, tapestries, flags, cloth or other flammable material. Removal of College furniture assigned to a room will result in a replacement and/or moving fee.

  • Windows and Screens Screens may not be removed from windows at any time. Students may not suspend objects from windows or ledges, sit in windows or ledges, or throw objects from buildings. Damage to screens or windows will be assessed at actual replacement, repairs and/or labor costs.

Damage Assessment

The RA will check each student space, prior to Move-In Day to ensure that each room is properly equipped using a Room Condition Report This is done by the Residence Life Staff to be sure the space is ready for occupancy. Written documentation from the resident must be provided to the Office of Residence Life if a room is found to be not in good order upon arrival. Written documentation must be submitted to no later than 48 hours after move-in.

Damage may be assessed at the time that it is reported to the Office of Residence Life, at the close of each semester, or whenever a student vacates the premises. The form used by the student to check-in will be used at check-out to verify the room’s condition upon move-in. Students will be billed for individual room damage and common area public damage – this includes any additional cleaning that needs to be done by the Housekeeping staff. When the individual(s) responsible for the damage cannot be identified, the cost of replacement, reassembly, repair, or cleaning will be divided equally among the residents of the building, floor, or room.

Disposal of Sharps in the Residence Halls

The College will make every effort to ensure the health and safety of all students.  To reduce the exposure to medical waste/contaminants, any student who has a medical need to use needles, syringes and/or finger stick devices must dispose of these materials in an approved Sharps container.

  • Approved containers will be available free of charge through the Health Service and can be picked up during normal business hours.
  • Students will dispose of used Sharps in the approved container immediately after use to prevent accidental exposure.
  • Once full, the container is to be closed securely and returned to the health service for proper disposal as required by law. A replacement container will be provided at that time.

Early Termination of Housing Contract or Emergency Room Changes

The College reserves the right to terminate housing contracts or move students to another location on campus due to emergency circumstances to protect the health and safety of our resident students. In the event Saint Rose terminates housing contracts or relocates students due to emergency circumstances, residential students will be instructed on move-out processes and other expectations.  Decisions about any potential room and/or board credits would be communicated as soon as possible.  The College also reserves the right to change housing assignments as a supportive or remedial measure during the pendency or as a result of a Title IX, sexual misconduct, bias/discrimination/harassment, or student conduct investigation.

Emergency Hospital Transports

The College reserves the right to enforce legitimate safety requirements necessary at any time for our program to operate in a manner that protects the well-being of our students, staff or other individuals on the premises.  To this end, the College, in consultation with EMS and/or Mobile Crisis, will make a decision regarding our students’ physical and psychological well-being.

If it is deemed necessary, due to illness, injury, or other circumstance, a student may be transported to a local hospital.

If it is necessary for a student to be transported to a local health care facility, the cost for the ambulance will be applied to the student’s account.


No items may be used to elevate residence hall beds or other furniture, including cinder blocks and bed risers. Students who violate this by building a loft, bed, deck, etc., of their own design will be ordered to remove it immediately.  Failure to remove the loft/construction will result in student conduct action.

Only College installed lofts and bunks are permitted.  Bunk beds and bed lofts are only set in rooms where the College deems it necessary; requests to bunk or loft beds will only be considered in extreme circumstances. In addition, furniture will not be removed from student rooms due to vacancy. Disassembly or de-lofting College furniture is not permitted and may result in a fine being placed on the student’s account for reassembly. Bunk beds are not allowed to be placed in front of windows.

Health and Safety Checks

Residence Life staff members will perform a non-invasive search called a Health and Safety Check in student rooms in late September/early October and then at all of the break periods (Thanksgiving, Intersession, and Spring Breaks) to increase the safety within our buildings and to ensure that any prohibited items are removed.  The first check allows for a personal, educational interaction.  Students may be referred through the Student Conduct process.

In addition, during the academic year, the New York State Office of Fire Prevention and Control completes random checks in our residence halls.  The College works closely with OFPC to make any necessary changes during and after these inspections.

Housing Assignments

The College reserves the right to plan for the most efficient, effective and safe use of the residence hall space. The Office of Residence Life makes all room assignments. Vacant spaces may be filled at any time by assignment of new or transferring students, or as a result of a room change request; therefore, residents must keep unassigned space available for occupancy.

Students may not refuse another College-assigned student the use of an unoccupied bed. Students may not move their belongings into an empty space without the explicit permission of their Area Coordinator or the Assistant Director of Residence Life. Consolidation of students into unoccupied spaces may occur at the discretion of the Director of Residence Life or their designee.  This includes during break periods when some students are required to be on campus and the residence halls are officially closed.

Housing Contract

The Housing Contract for room and board, available only on a combined basis, is binding for the academic year (Fall and Spring) except for students graduating at the end of the Fall semester or entering residence for the Spring semester. The contract shall not be construed as a lease of assigned accommodations for any period when the College is not in regular session. The Director of Residence Life reserves the right to remove a student from the residence hall system, when necessary, to protect the health, safety, and welfare of the campus community at large. If the student’s behavior warrants immediate termination of the housing contract, the student will not be refunded any fees.

Laundry Facilities

All residence halls and Centennial Hall are equipped with washers and dryers. Students residing in other College-owned apartments are not provided with laundry facilities. Only resident students are permitted to use laundry facilities within the building in which they reside. Problems with these machines should be reported to the Office of Residence Life or the Resident Assistant.  Students are not to remove another student’s belongings from the laundry machines.


Mailboxes for resident students are located in the lower level of the Events and Athletics Center. Each student is assigned their own mailbox. The student’s mailing address is:

[Student Name]
The College of Saint Rose
[Student’s Mailbox Number]
366 Western Avenue
Albany, New York 12203

Mail delivery is made in accordance with postal schedules.

Upon leaving residence, students are encouraged to provide a forwarding address to the Mail Room. Mail will be forwarded for one month after check-out. After the first month of absence, mail will be returned to sender.

Meal Plans

Every resident student, except those residing in Centennial Hall or a meal-plan-optional residence hall, is required to select a meal plan. Several options are available and it is suggested that you choose the plan that best accommodates your schedule. Meal plan changes must be submitted through MyHousing and are accepted up until the first week of each semester. No changes will be granted after that period.

Room Changes

Students should make every effort to work together to achieve a compatible living situation. If difficulties arise and students are not able to resolve them among themselves, they should seek assistance from their RA who will make every effort to aid in the solution. The Assistant Director of Residence Life will consider room change requests after consultation with the RA and/or Area Coordinator.

Room changes do not occur for the first three weeks of each semester. Requests will be decided on an individual basis. Moving to a new space without approval by the Assistant Director of Residence Life and/or Area Coordinator will result in student conduct action.  Residents must keep unassigned space available for occupancy and must welcome new students in a hospitable manner. Students are expected to maintain the space in such a manner as to allow another student to move in immediately. Students may not refuse another College-assigned student the use of an unoccupied bed. The penalty incurred may be a student conduct hearing and/or reassignment to another space.

Room Check-In Procedures

Students may not move into their room before the official designated opening at the start of each semester and following vacation periods. All residents are responsible for checking in to their residence hall by completing the appropriate paperwork with their RA. Residents who fail to check-in beyond the first week of classes will be declared “no shows”, forfeit their requested spaces, and are liable for room and board fees.

Room Check-Out Procedures

When students check-out from their residence, they are required to:

  1. sweep floor and remove trash and all personal belongings;
  2. request a check-out appointment with the Area Coordinator by the deadline communicated or return their keys to the Office of Residence Life (or other designated area);
  3. fill out a mail forwarding card in the Campus Mailroom;
  4. fill out an official withdrawal form with the Office of Residence Life if not returning as a resident student.

Failure to do any of these may result in additional fees being assessed to your account.  A moving fee will be assessed for removal of privately owned furniture and/or non-assigned College furniture that has been left in a room following check-out.

Room Decorations

Residents are free to decorate their rooms or apartments. Such decorations must not present a fire or safety hazard. Because of the wide variety of possible decorations, it is impossible to detail regulations to cover every situation. However, the following examples should provide a guide to what is and is not acceptable.

According to the College’s interpretation of the applicable policies of Chapter 8 in the 2015 International Fire Code, as it relates to the question of decorations on the walls, the College has established limits for the decorations including a restriction allowing no decorations/combustibles to be hung over any student beds, due to the possibility of flaming decorations falling on the beds.

Regarding coverage of walls in student rooms, there are two different limitations based on the space the student lives in. In rooms with a Fire Sprinkler System, approximately 50% of the walls can be covered, while in rooms without a Fire Sprinkler System, only 20% of the walls can be covered.

This understanding does not apply to anything hanging from the ceilings – No items can be hanging from the ceiling in any student room. Any approved wall hangings must be 18 inches from the ceiling. Any hangings must be fire-rated and non-combustible.

Posters, photographs, etc. are acceptable. Large, bulky paper or fabric decorations hanging from the ceiling or wall are not acceptable (i.e. fish nets, tapestries, parachutes, sheets, etc.), nor are constructions such as room dividers, as they add significantly to the combustibility of the room and its contents. Room murals are not acceptable, nor are any decorations or appliances that require wiring into the electrical system (i.e. ceiling fan).

The use of up to two (2) light strands will be permitted provided they are UL (Underwriter’s Laboratories) approved and designated as indoor lighting.  Light strands must be unplugged when unattended. Only “miniature” lights may be used. Lighting within residence hall rooms must be hung in ways that will not cause wires to wear thin. Lighting cannot be mounted on doors or doorframes. Electric powered lights must not cross doorways or go through windows.

The use of extension cords is prohibited. Students are permitted to use UL rated surge protectors only.

Room Entry

The College reserves the right to enter an assigned space to inspect the room for repair, maintenance, health and safety checks, and in cases of emergency. “Inspection,” not to be confused with the term “search,” refers to checking a room for cleanliness, damage, fire hazards, and the general order and well-being of the building.

Any Residence Life staff may enter rooms to investigate possible violation of policies and may confiscate contraband, such as alcohol or stolen property, when deemed appropriate by College staff. Confiscated items may be disposed of at the discretion of the Residence Life staff when possession of these items violates policies and regulations.

Students must comply with requests from College officials to open rooms when acting in an official College capacity. Failure to cooperate may result in disciplinary action including dismissal from residence and/or the College.

Typically, facilities staff may enter student rooms in pairs to make repairs or complete assigned work requests, even if a student is not present. A student may request, via the work request form and/or through the Assistant Director of Residence Life, that the repair/work be scheduled when an occupant of the room is present.

In the event of an unplanned facility issue during the academic year (including, but not limited to break periods), the College is authorized to have individual resident belongings in personal and/or common areas packed, catalogued, and moved to a locked, secure location under the supervision of the College’s Security.  This will allow the College to remedy such facility issues in a timely fashion.  In addition, the College is authorized to take any measures necessary to restore damaged belongings if possible.  If this occurs, residents will be contacted through authorized College personnel as quickly as possible and will be provided with updates as appropriate and necessary.

Room Painting

Painting of any residence hall space by a non-College designee is not permitted.

Housing Contract

Current Residents
Students who are currently living in college-provided housing have the ability to participate in the Room Reservation process, which occurs in the spring semester for the upcoming academic year. After students have completed their housing agreement, they will receive a lottery selection day and time that is randomly generated based on the number of their academic credits earned. This information is provided by the Registrar’s Office. Students participating in the Room Reservation process should look for information regarding the necessary deadlines and dates that are part of the selection process. This information will start to be communicated towards the end of January. Students will only be able to select housing if they do not have any holds on their account.  Questions regarding the Room Reservation process can be sent to

Students Studying Abroad
We recognize that some of our resident students may look to take advantage of the rich opportunity to study abroad for one of their semesters at Saint Rose. For students who are planning to study abroad in the following fall semester, you should select housing through the Room Reservation process during the spring. Prior to leaving campus in May, you should come to the Office of Residence Life and fill out a Withdrawal from Housing Form indicating that you are studying abroad in the fall, but will be returning in the spring semester. We will be sure the space in available for you in the spring upon your return. Please understand depending on the interest in on-campus housing, we may temporarily need to house someone in your space for the fall semester.

For students who are planning to study abroad the following spring semester, you should participate in the Room Reservation process to reserve housing for the fall semester. As the end of the fall semester nears, students will need to come to the Office of Residence Life and fill out a Withdrawal from Housing Form for the spring semester.

Students who are currently studying abroad in the spring semester and need to select housing for the fall will be able to do so provided they have access to internet, complete their housing application and have no holds on their account. Questions regarding the Room Reservation process can be sent to


Any Saint Rose student, who is currently living off-campus and is interested in living on- campus for the upcoming academic year, must complete the housing application and have all holds cleared from their account participate in the Room Reservation Process. The Office of Residence Life will maintain a wait list for students to be placed in campus- provided housing should all other spaces be filled. Questions regarding the Room Reservation process can be sent to

Vending Machines

Problems with the machines in residence halls or refunds for those machines are handled through the Office of Student Development located in the Events and Athletics Center.

Withdrawing from Housing

Written notification of withdrawal from housing must be submitted to the Office of Residence Life so as to void a residence contract. Failure to provide this information and to properly check- out of a room may result in charges for cleaning, lock change or other services required to prepare that space for use by a new resident. “Withdrawal From Residence” Forms are available in the Office of Residence Life.

Refunds/Cancellation Fees

The Housing Agreement is in effect for the entire academic year.  Resident refunds/cancellation fees are computed from the date on which the Office of Residence Life receives written notice of withdrawal and/or the date that the student officially vacates the residence hall and returns their key.  The schedule for room refunds is listed below.  Meal plan refunds are prorated based on when the student withdraws.  See also Early Termination of Housing Contract or Emergency Room Changes.

Fall Semester
If a student withdraws from the College after the semester starts, the room refund schedule is listed below:

Notification Received that a Student is Withdrawing and/or Keys to the Room are Returned Room Refund
First Week of Classes Full Refund
Second Week of Classes 50% of Room Rate Refund
After Second Week of Classes No Refund

In all situations, the charge for a student’s meal plan will be prorated based on the number of days into the semester when a student withdraws from housing.

If a student withdraws from housing prior to the start of the semester, the following room cancellation fees will be applied:

Student Notifies Residence Life Room Cancellation Fee
End of Room Reservation – June 15th $150.00
June 16th – July 15th $200.00
July 16th – Friday prior to Move-In Weekend $250.00