2010 Standards for Reading Professionals:
- Content: Standard 1 Foundational Knowledge – Candidates understand the theoretical and evidence-based foundations of reading and writing processes and instruction
- Pedagogy: Standard 2 Curriculum and Instruction – Candidates use instructional approaches, materials, and an integrated, comprehensive, balanced curriculum to support student learning in reading and writing.
- Pedagogy: Standard 3 Assessment and Evaluation – Candidates use a variety of assessment tools and practices to plan and evaluate effective reading and writing instruction.
- Environment: Standard 4 Diversity – Candidates create and engaged their students in literacy practices that develop awareness, understanding, respect and a valuing of differences in our society.
- Environment: Standard 5 Literate Environment – Candidates create a literate environment that fosters reading and writing by integrating foundational knowledge, instructional practices, approaches and methods, curriculum materials, and the appropriate use of assessments.
- Professionalism: Standard 6 Professional Learning and Leadership – Candidates recognize the importance of, demonstrate, and facilitate professional learning and leadership as a career-long effort and responsibility.