The program requires completion of course work in the Research Core (a minimum of 6 credits) and the Pedagogy Core (12 credits). For the remaining 12 credits, we offer 12-credit Content Cores that give teachers the freedom to tailor the degree to their own career goals and aspirations. Students also complete a portfolio. They are supported in this process with EDU 501 (0 credits) during their first semester and EDU 556 (0 credits) during their final semester.
- Second initial certification in early childhood education (birth-grade 2) for those with childhood certification.
- Second initial certification in childhood (elementary) education (grades 1-6) for those with early childhood certification.
- Grade 5-6 content area extension to current certification.
- Grade 7-9 content area extension to current certification.
- Bilingual education extension (Spanish).
- In-depth study within one’s current area of certification through a wide choice of electives.