A Faculty-Led Program (FLP) is a study abroad experience that is offered in conjunction with an academic class that is taught either fall or spring semester at The College of Saint Rose. The class meets on campus like any regular class, but it also has an additional 1-2 week travel component that typically occurs during a semester break. Students travel with the faculty member and other class members, so there is a high amount of small group interaction. Cost wise, students pay their regular semester costs, and for the class that has an FLP attached, they pay an additional travel cost, which ranges from $1,500 – $3,000.
Checklist for Faculty-Led Programs:
September/October (students going on spring FLPs) or March/April (students going on fall FLPs):
1. Review the Center for International Programs’ website to see what FLPs will be offered in the spring.
2. Contact the professor of each FLP with any questions or to express interest. The professor is the primary contact person for each Faculty Led Program.
3. Apply for the FLP through the professor. You will be notified if you have been accepted to attend the Faculty Led Program.
4. Pay a $100 deposit to the Bursar to secure your spot on the FLP (only after you have been notified that you have been accepted).
5. Pay the total airfare cost for the FLP to the Bursar.
6. Apply for your passport if you don’t have one.
Three to six months before your FLP:
7. Attend all pre-departure meetings with your professor.
8. Complete any necessary requirements for your program (visa application, bank letter, etc.).
One to two months before your FLP:
9. Take the IDI Assessment (Intercultural Development Inventory). This will be emailed to you.
10. Attend the Center for International Programs’ pre-departure orientation.
11. Register for international insurance. Complete and submit the International Insurance form.
12. Complete and submit the Waiver of Liability and Hold Harmless Agreement.
13. Complete and submit the Release to Communicate with Parents /Guardians.
14. Complete and submit the Health Information Forms/Agreement.
Two weeks before your FLP:
15. Notify your bank that you are going to be using your card abroad.
16. Contact your cell phone provider to decide if you want to purchase an international cell phone plan while you are abroad.
17. Get cash in the currency of your program site for immediate arrival needs.
18. Copy all important documents and credit cards to leave one copy at home and take one with you abroad (i.e. passport, other photo ID, credit cards, etc).
19. Prepare a travel file to hold important documents (i.e. passport, plane tickets, Arrival Update); share information with a key contact person at home, such as a parent.
20. Compile a list of emergency, program, and friend contacts (phone numbers, email, mailing address).
21. Like “Saint Rose Abroad” on Facebook.
22. Follow “stroseabroad” on Twitter.
23. Like “saintroseabroad” on Pinterest.