Get a head start on your college experience with our Pathways programs
Our goal is to provide a seamless transition from orientation to your first day of classes. As such, we offer a customized First-Year Experience for all new, undergraduate students. Nestled within FYE is the very popular Pathways program, which is an optional early arrival experience for new students.
There are four distinctive Pathways programs that provide opportunities for first-year students to arrive to campus a few days early. Each program offers a unique experience where students will make new friends, engage in new experiences, develop teamwork and leadership skills, and create lifetime memories. Pathways participants emerge as creative thinkers ready to take on life at Saint Rose. Are you ready to jump start your college experience?
When does it start?
- Sunday, August 20, 2017: Move-in
- Sunday, August 20-Wednesday, August 23, 2017: Pathways takes place.
What programs are offered?
- Adventure Challenge builds character and collaboration, problem solving, communication, feedback and trust. We will encourage you to step outside your comfort zone and experience activities you have never tried. Our adventures take advantage of the beauty and resources of Cooperstown, NY which include low and high ropes course activities, canoeing, raft building, indoor rock climbing, swimming, and hiking. By engaging in these challenges together, students of different abilities discover their own strength of character and most importantly, learn to communicate and trust each other.
ALANA is Leadership
- The term ALANA stands for African, Latin, Asian and Native American students. All students are welcome who are interested in an intercultural, cross-racial experience that builds leadership competencies. The program’s goal has been to acknowledge and foster diversity awareness. The emphasis is on building inclusive communities and providing opportunities for new students to transition to the College while building skills for academic success. The program consists of a vibrant outdoor adventure experience, academic preparedness workshops, and fun social events. You are paired with an upper-classman who will serve as your guide while you navigate through your first weeks on campus and beyond.
- Arts Encounter introduces students to the visual and musical riches of New York’s Capital Region. Through this program, you will meet others who share your interests in the arts. Both those skilled in art and music and those who simply enjoy participating as audience members can take advantage of opportunities to create art and music as well as enjoy the many cultural treasures of the area. Planned activities will showcase the Saint Rose art and music facilities and will also include visits to local galleries and music venues as well as the nearby Berkshires, in Western Mass., long recognized as a haven for the arts.
- Urban Launch provides an immersion experience for a select group of students eager to dedicate themselves to community service and social justice in an urban setting. You will meet students with similar interests, develop leadership skills that you can put to use on future service projects. You will have the opportunity to confront moral and ethical issues by working with agencies that address issues of poverty, homelessness, and education in New York’s capital city. Past community partners include Habitat For Humanity, Big Brothers/Big Sisters, Saint Anne’s Institute, and the Albany City Mission.
What is the cost?
The programs are $150 (including a $50.00 deposit, payable with the application, which becomes non-refundable on acceptance into the program). The remainder of the fee is due by August 7, 2017. Please make checks payable to The College of Saint Rose. Put Pathways in the memo line and send them to:
Pathways Program – First Year Experience
The College of Saint Rose
432 Western Avenue
Albany, NY 12203
How do I apply?
Complete the online application form or print and mail a registration form. Mail your deposit to the address above to ensure a spot in the program of your choice.