Skip to Main Content

Academic Advising FAQ's

Students who wish to change their major, minor or concentration need to fill out a Change of Major Form Complete the form and return it to the Office of Academic Advising. Changing your major is a big decision to make on your own. If you have specific questions about how your current academic credits will fit in to your new major, please stop by the Office of Academic Advising for assistance. Should you have questions regarding your career options in your new major, please contact The College of Saint Rose Career Center.

If you would like to see how your previously earned credits would be applied toward a different major or concentration, please login to the Secure Site, view your DegreeWorks Report and choose the “What-If Analysis” at the top left side of the report. If you are planning to change your major to Early Childhood, Childhood, Special Education, or CSD, go to the Field Placement and Advising Office in Lally. If you are planning to change to any other major, please see the Office of Academic Advising on the 3rd floor of Saint Joseph Hall.

No, a minor is not required in order for a student to graduate. The purpose of a minor is to supplement your degree with additional coursework from a different area which may enhance your educational experience. Minors must be declared before a student has earned 90 credits. (View guidelines and a complete listing of academic minors)

Every semester has a designated registration schedule. You will receive a registration time by email telling you the exact day and time you can register. Registration times are assigned based on accumulated credits and year and cannot be changed. You must contact the Registrar’s Office if you do not receive your email. The email will also contain information about any hold on your account which may inhibit your registration. Holds will be described on the secure site so they may be resolved prior to your registration appointment.

Students will be able to add or drop a class on their own either before or during the first calendar week of the semester. This can be done online or in person at the Student Solution Center. During this period, courses dropped will not be recorded on your transcript. Please check the course listing and the Student Solution Center for dates to add or drop half-semester, weekend and summer session classes. The deadline for this action can be found on the Academic Calendar.

Withdrawal from a class is allowed. Withdrawals cannot be completed online, they must be done in person at the Student Solution Center. When withdrawing from a class, you will receive a W on your transcript. An F may be recorded instead of a W if withdrawal deadlines have passed. If you do not fill out the appropriate form (available in the Student Solution Center and The Office of Academic Advising), and simply stop going to the class you will receive an F on your transcript. The deadline for this action can be found on the Academic Calendar. Prior to withdrawing from a course, students should review policies regulating refunds, full-time status, grading penalty, financial aid and immigration status.

“Dropping a class” can occur only during (or prior to) the first calendar week of the semester. Classes that are dropped do not appear on the student’s record. After the first week of the semester, it is no longer possible to drop a class. Courses can be dropped by the student (online), or in the Student Solution Center.

“Withdrawing from a class” can occur anytime after the Add/Drop Period (i.e., the first calendar week of the semester), and is an option until the official “Withdrawal Deadline”. (Please consult academic calendar for dates). Courses from which a student withdraws appear on the student’s record, and are marked with a “W”. The withdrawal procedure is initiated in the Student Solution Center. Please note: students who merely stop attending a course, and fail to properly withdraw, will receive an “F” grade in the course.

Whether dropping or withdrawing from a class, it is always a good idea to check with your academic advisor as dropping and withdrawing from classes can have implications for financial aid, graduation schedules, etc.


Your DegreeWorks Report outlines all of the requirements of your major, concentration, and minor. The report shows the courses you have taken, and the ones in progress. Use your Academic Progress Report as a guide for scheduling and course registration. To access your DegreeWorks report, please follow the steps below:

Go to the Secure Site

Click on “Login to Secure Area”

Type in your student ID# and your password

Click on “Student Services and Financial Aid”

Click on “Student Records”

Click on “DegreeWorks” and follow the instructions

Students who have officially withdrawn or who have not attended the College for a period of one year (two consecutive semesters – not including summer sessions) must complete a Resumption of Study form. Students who resume study will follow the degree requirements in the catalog that is in effect at the time of resumption. Please return the completed form to the Office of Academic Advising.

Instructions for completing a Resumption of Study
**Important, please read.

The maximum number of credits a student may take each semester is 18. On average, students typically take 15 – 16 credits per semester. A student wishing to take more than 18 credits in one semester must receive approval from the dean of their academic school.

If you are not satisfied with a grade you received in a class and would like to retake it, you may do so at any point. If you receive a grade which is higher than the grade you received the first time you took the class, the higher grade will be recorded on your transcript. If you retake a class and receive a lower grade, the higher grade will be recorded on your transcript. Students wishing to retake a class which they have already received credit for should contact the Financial Aid Office to see if there are any financial implications.

Advisors are assigned based on major. Your first semester at Saint Rose, you will receive an e-mail sent to your Saint Rose account informing you of your advisor’s name and office location. You must meet with your assigned advisor on advisement day, or any additional times that they feel necessary. Your advisor is also the person who can give you your alternate pin number, which is required for registration. Once assigned, your advisor’s name is listed on the upper left-hand corner of your DegreeWorks Report, which can be accessed through the Secure Site. You may use the online  Campus Directory for your advisor’s phone number and email address.

You do have the option to change your advisor. When changing a major requires a new advisor, the change will be made automatically. If you would like to change your advisor for additional reasons, you will need to fill out the Change of Advisor Form, solicit a signature from the advisor with whom you wish to work, and submit the form to the Office of Academic Advising.

The math placement determines which math and science courses you are eligible to take. If you need a copy of your results contact the Office of Academic Advising at (518) 454-5217 or email If you need to re-take your math placement for placement into different coursework, please contact The Academic Support Center at (518) 454-5299 or email All students must take the math placement unless they enter the College with a “C-” or better in College Algebra, Pre-Calculus, or a Calculus course which carries college credit (note: Math/Science majors/concentrators are encouraged to take the Math Placement if they are only transferring in college algebra) or they enter the College with a “3” or better on an Advanced Placement test in Calculus.

Prior to registering for courses at another college, a student must obtain the written approval of his/her advisor and the Dean of his/her school in order to ensure that the credits earned will be applicable toward the degree at Saint Rose. Students are advised not to take course requirements for their major at another college. Request forms for taking courses at other colleges are available in the Student Solution Center in Saint Joseph’s Hall or online. Approved courses will be accepted for transfer provided a grade of “C-“ or higher is earned and the course does not duplicate courses completed at Saint Rose. Courses cannot be taken on a Pass/Fail basis. Grades at other colleges are not calculated into your Saint Rose GPA and are not counted toward the 60 credit residency requirement. Several majors, minors, and concentrations have transfer restrictions. Please consult the college catalog for restrictions in your discipline. Proper placement scores are needed if you are requesting to transfer in a math or science course which requires the Math Placement exam. A maximum of 12 credits can be taken over the entire summer. This includes transfer courses and courses taken at Saint Rose.It is the responsibility of the student to request that an official transcript be sent to The College of Saint Rose Registrar’s Office upon course completion.

If you wish to make any changes to your Transfer Equivalency, it is your responsibility to make an appeal at the Registrar’s Office. When making an appeal, bring a copy of the course description and syllabus with you. The College retains the right to change the Transfer Equivalency if corrections are required or if a degree program changes.

Disability Services at the College of Saint Rose serves students with disabilities on campus. Students are encouraged to contact the office at (518) 337-2335 early in their first semester to set up an appointment with the Office, which is located in the Academic Support Center on the 2nd floor of Saint Joseph Hall..

When preparing to graduate, students must fill out and submit a Degree Application. This Degree Application will need to be on file in the Registrar’s Office at the beginning of the term prior to the term of anticipated degree completion. That means: if you’re planning on graduating at the end of Spring Semester (May), your Degree Application will need to be on file by the beginning of the preceding Fall Semester.

It is in your best interest to file the application by the deadline since a degree audit will be completed (in which the Registrar carefully reviews your DegreeWorks report), and any overlooked deficiencies can be discovered early.

Please consult the academic calendar for specific dates.