The College of Saint Rose has recognized undergraduate and graduate students for outstanding academic performance with the annual Honors Convocation. This year, due to COVID-19, the awards were presented virtually in four sessions organized by the four schools – the School of Arts and Humanities, Huether School of Business, Thelma P. Lally School of Education, and the School of Mathematics and Sciences. The honorees, family and friends, faculty, and administrators were invited to attend. Interim President Marcia White also attended each ceremony.
“Your success is an outward demonstration of your dedication and hard work. Many of you engaged in extra-curricular activities, athletics, taking care of family, and work, supporting yourself and others while still pursuing your academic goals. Academic success doesn’t always come with a prize There is always the knowledge of knowing that you’ve done your job well,” Dr. Margaret McLane, interim provost and vice president for academic affairs told the students during one of the ceremonies. “But it’s often internal, not external. Tonight is an opportunity to acknowledge you with an external recognition of your hard work.”
Each student who was honored will receive a certificate via email. Links to recordings of the ceremony, as well as the slide presentations from each ceremony, can be found at the end this story.
Academic Achievement Awards
This award is presented to the outstanding members of each class who have achieved the highest cumulative grade-point average (GPA)
Class of 2024:
Rylee Sage Desso, Early Child and Child Education B-6
Emily C. Kushner, Forensic Psychology
Class of 2023:
- Lily Anna Ogozalek, Music BS
- Aubrey Madison Bogart, Accounting
- Johanna Campbell, Ahmed Lakrafli, Business Administration
- Maggie R. Owen, BS/MS/Business Administration/Accounting (150 hour)
- Erin J. Rivera, Marketing
- Kaia Leigh Hemming, Madison Rose Joccolano, Communication Sciences and Disorders
- Nate Patrick Johnson, Emily B. McCarthy, Communication Sciences and Disorders dual (BS/MSED)
- Isabella Ann O’Clair, Inclusive Early Childhood Education
- Quentin Kobi Bowman, Olivia R. Valent, Emily Kushner, Forensic Psychology
- Sam Diaz, Social Work
- Catherine Finnerty, Biology
- Ryan J. Gainor, Biochemistry
- Amy May Hurlbut, Social Work
- Ally M. Holguin Vargas, Cara Lee Janowsky, Psychology/Clinical Mental Health Counseling (BS/MSED)
- Nick Koenig, Psychology
- Thomas Howard Phelan, Jahyra I. Speights, Criminal Justice, Behavior, and Law
Class of 2022:
- John Guthrie Brouillette, Music BS
- Zoe E. Ohye, English
- Grace E. Sayward, Music Performance
- Justin Baisey, Human Resource Management
- Emily Goldup, Erin Mary McLoughlin, Inclusive Childhood Education
- Justin Penrod, Early Childhood Education and Childhood Education (B-6)
- Trevor R. Goodemote, Finance
- Ella M. Wolfe, Marketing
- Paige Marie Posada, Communication Sciences and Disorders
- Janina R. Rudzinski, Early Childhood and Childhood Education (B-6)
- Rhiannon Bornt, Layna K. Nervina, Hannah L. Rainer, Forensic Psychology
- Raffaele Esposito, Marielle Livia St. Aubin, Aidan C. Sullivan, Shane George, Psychology
- Daniel Kelley, Alexsander Risenhoover, Computer Science
Class of 2021:
- Eddie Sousa, BS/MS/Bus Administration/Accounting (150 hour)
- Lindsay Anne Thornton, Childhood Education
- Emily Katherine Brynes, Isabella R. Griffiths, Communication Sciences and Disorders
- Katelyn Russelley Harrington, Liliana Battibuli, Samantha N. Rioux, Camryn J. Meca, Brid Lin Carroll, Kaylee Marie Hampton,
- Alexandra L. Del Vecchio, Carolyn Brussel, Childhood Education/Special Education
- Dan Raymond Francis Klein, Computer Science
- Mary Kazolias, Criminal Justice, Behavior, and Law
Artist Scholar Award
This award recognizes a graduating Art major. Equal/comparable emphasis is placed on artistic accomplishment and scholarly achievement.
Awardee: Kaylee Sterns
Biagiotti-Burton Endowed Award
This award is given to History and Political Science majors who are selected for their courage, honesty, and community involvement.
Awardee: Hannah Liscomb
Jack Fragomeni Memorial Music Award
The award is presented to a junior guitar student who has shown the most improvement since his or her first year. Recipients are selected by the Music faculty. The award is named in honor of the late Jack Fragomeni, a jazz guitarist and part-time Music Department faculty member for 25 years.
Awardee: Harsh Pingle
The Honorable Loretta A. Preska Endowed Award
This award is presented to a student who meets the following criteria: First preference given to an undergraduate student planning to attend law school, who demonstrates outstanding academic achievement. Second preference will be given to an undergraduate student majoring in the sciences, who demonstrates outstanding academic achievement.
Awardees: Emily Stiles, Danielle Piccone
Hy Rosen Award for Excellence in Painting and Drawing
This award is named for the renowned political cartoonist for the Times Union for nearly half a century. His generosity has made it possible for the Art Department to create this award, presented to an outstanding art student or students who has/have demonstrated a high level of skill, understanding, innovation, and insight in painting and drawing.
Awardees: Isabella Burnett, Jude Daigneault
Inez and Nicholas Tarquin Artist Scholar Award
This award is presented to either one or two talented junior Art majors with a GPA of 3.5 or better who have demonstrated artistic and academic talent. Karene Faul, former chair of the Art Department at The College of Saint Rose, established the award in memory of her mother and father.
Awardees: Emily Roztocil, Maggie Burak
Sister Patricia Kane Writing Award in Journalism
This award, named for the founder of The College of Saint Rose journalism program, is presented to a Communications major. Students are invited to submit pieces of journalism that meet the following criteria: compelling, accurate writing that adheres to standard journalistic convention and foregrounds the student’s ability to source a story and deliver accurate information in a timely fashion.
Awardee: Sarah Clark
Sister Rita Agnes Casey, CSJ, Endowed Music Award
This award is presented to a female senior Music major who has demonstrated commitment to continuing music studies It is given in honor of Sister Rita Agnes Casey, one of the College’s founders and chair of the Music department from its inception in 1920 until 1957.
Awardee: Marissa Scotti
Sister Rosaleen Gilroy, CSJ, History-Political Science Award
This award honors the graduating senior carrying the highest cumulative GPA in the History-Political Science major.
Awardee: Isabelle Rulison
Senior Writing Award
The honoree is selected from a group of candidates who submitted three anonymous writing samples to judges from outside the College community.
Awardee: Samantha Zimmerman
Presser Undergraduate Scholar Award
This award is presented to an outstanding Music student who is at, or near, the end of his or her junior year, for use in their senior year. The awardee is selected on the basis of merit and achievement. Awardee: Brianna Moss
J. Robert Sheehan Music Scholar Award
This award is presented to a sophomore or junior vocal or keyboard music student, who, as determined by the Music faculty, has exhibited outstanding dedication to the department and exceptional progress and promise in Music, from academic and applied performance perspectives. The award is made possible by friends and family of J. Robert Sheehan, former chair of the College’s Music department, in recognition of his many years of service.
Awardee: Paige Menneci
Clayton Trag Rock & Roll Rebel Annual Scholarship
This award is given to a junior Music major who is a talented rock and roll, jazz, or blues musician with financial need and a 3.5 GPA in Music courses.
Awardee: Drew Pelrine
Saint Rose of Lima Award
The award is presented to two graduating seniors who have maintained the highest cumulative average during their entire course of study at the College. One award is presented to a four-year student, the second to a transfer student.
Four-year award: Kevin O’Brien, Communications
Transfer student award: Taylor Jane Tilford, Teacher Education: Childhood/Adolescence/Early Childhood
James J. Carr III Award for Business Beyond the Classroom
This award honors students who have at least a 3.0 GPA and have distinguished themselves outside the classroom in an internship, field study, or faculty-directed research. It was established in 2013 in the memory of James J. Carr III, a pioneer of the restaurant boom in downtown Albany.
Awardee: Sophia Rijo
William and Camille Ruggiero ’37 Endowed Honors Internship Award
This award was established in 2011 to honor William and Camille Ruggerio, who were deeply interested in business and in many aspects of giving back to their communities. This award supports students participating in the Honors Internship Program in the summer between junior and senior year.
Awardees: Luisa Gaudl, Megan Mayer, Michael Purvey, Ogaziechi Ebubechukwu, Payton O’Hara, Pearl Umoye, Sophia Rijo
Senior Class Scholar-Athlete Award
This award is presented to one male and one female student who fit the following criteria: has attended The College of Saint Rose for at least four semesters, been a member of a varsity sport for at least two seasons, including their senior, be a graduating senior or enrolled in a combined program and successfully completed the undergraduate portion, and have the highest cumulative GPA (minimum of 3.5). Awardees are selected by the Athletics Department in conjunction with the faculty liaison to the Athletics Department.
Awardees: Olivia Stebbins-Hopkins, Filippo Bellu
Dr. Anne Toolan Rowley Endowed Award
This award recognizes a graduate student who demonstrates outstanding scholarship and exemplary service to children and adults with communication needs in language and literacy, including speaking, listening, reading, and writing.
Awardee: Ashley Nicole Malmberg
Joyce Coon Memorial Award
This award is presented to a graduate student in the Communication Sciences and Disorders program who has demonstrated academic excellence in the area of adult neurogenic communication disorders and swallowing and, also, has demonstrated the personal qualities exemplified by Joyce Coon – compassion, caring, and collaboration. It was established in memory of Coon, who received her bachelor’s degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders from Saint Rose in 2004 and who had been pursuing her graduate degree in the program.
Awardee: Katelynn Bond Worobey
Dr. Mark Ylvisaker Memorial Award
This award is presented to an outstanding undergraduate or graduate student who exemplifies the qualities of Dr. Ylvisaker: a love of and great aptitude in learning and scholarship, innovative and successful efforts in helping others to communicate, and a genuineness and warmth that is evident to all.
Awardee: Fiona Jane Beaton
The Michael Welshhaun Memorial Award
This award recognizes a Communications Sciences and Disorders student who has used technology to improve the communication ability of someone with complex communication challenges.
Awardee: Nicole Weiss
Dr. Huey C. Bogan Award for Creativity in Teaching
This award recognizes an outstanding graduate student who exemplifies the qualities of Dr. Bogan, including academic excellence, creativity, and passion for education. Dr. Bogan, a Childhood Education professor at Saint Rose for 16 years, passed away in 2009.
Awardee: Miosotis Tennant
Mary P. VanDerzee Memorial Award
This award is presented to a sophomore or junior (in any degree program) who is registered with the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities. A minimum 3.00 GPA is required, and applicants must complete an application (includes a 200-300 word essay).
Awardee: Sara Stelter
Physical Education Lifetime Fitness/Wellness S.P.E.C.I.A.L. Award
This award is given to a student who understands and demonstrates a lifetime commitment to the 7 dimensions of wellness.
Awardee: Michael A. Abare II
American Institute of Chemists Award
This national program honors outstanding seniors majoring in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering or Biochemistry. The award is presented on the basis of “a demonstrated record of ability, leadership, and professional promise.”
Awardee: Jordyn Veihdeffer
Marie Chirico Bello ’48 Award
This award is presented to a full-time undergraduate Science major who shares Marie Chirico Bello’s passion for science, demonstrated through high academic achievement. It was established in 2011 in honor of the 85th birthday of Marie Chirico Bello ’48, who majored in Biology and minored in Chemistry.
Awardee: Sarah Devernoe
General Chemistry Award
This award is presented to the best student or students in general Chemistry at the College. Award criteria include GPA and motivation for and interest in Chemistry.
Awardees: Annie Dzyadyk, Ryan Gainor
Sally Fox Memorial Award in Microbiology
This award is presented to a junior or senior who demonstrates outstanding academic achievement in Biology, Biochemistry, or Medical Technology. It was established by Dr. Sally Fox, a professor of microbiology at Saint Rose from 1967-1983. Her family and friends endowed the award in her memory.
Awardee: Elizabeth Flores
Sister Theresa Wysolmerski, CSJ, Award for Excellence in Biology
This award is presented to an outstanding full-time undergraduate Biology, Biology: Adolescence Education, Medical Technology, Biology/Cytotechnology, or Childhood Education (Biology concentration) major who meets specific academic criteria and has demonstrated academic excellence, breadth of interest, and general social concern.
Awardee: Madeline Yeung
Donna L. Reittinger Award for Outstanding Undergraduate Psychological Research
This award recognizes a senior-level student graduating in December or May of the academic year PSY 498 is taken. Students must have completed all of PSY 498 successfully. Eligible students must have at least a 3.0 GPA in psychology and an overall GPA of 3.0.
Awardee: Frank Houser
Michael D. Normandin Innovative Computing Technology Award
This award is presented to a full-time undergraduate or graduate student majoring in Computer Information systems or Music Industry. The recipient need not be an academic achiever, but a student who demonstrates ambition, enthusiasm, and creativity in computer use to solve a problem. It is named for Michael D. Normandin ’87, who has decades of real-world computer technology leadership and experience.
Awardee: Anne Mancini
Outstanding Senior Awards
The award recognizes graduating seniors who have at least a 3.5 GPA and who meet other criteria specified by the department faculty in which they study.
School of Arts and Humanities
- Macey Drezek, Kevin O’Brien, Communications
- Griffin Bengraff, Design Media Arts
- Nadia Payan, Bobbi Le’Rae Valentin, English
- Sarah Sampson, Graphic Design
- Elizabeth French, History
- Juliana Castrillon Cadena, Music Industry
- Mariana Fedchyshyn, Music BA
- Juliana Rivelli, Music Education
- Marissa Scotti, Music Performance
- Danielle Piccone, Political Science
- Emily Stiles, History/Political Science
- Cheyenne Haemmerle, Social Studies/Adolescence Education
- Allyson DeRusso, Studio Art
Huether School of Business
- Jevon D.Schmitz, Accounting
- Nicholas Brown, Business Administration, Small Business and Entrepreneurship
- Gopi Nainesh Patel, Business Economics
- Amanda Dushaj, Finance
- Karsen Hallas, Human Resource Management
- Andrea Feliciano, Management, Leadership Track
- Kirstin Wood, Marketing
- Megan Mayer, Sales
- Greg Allard, Management, Sport Management
Thelma P. Lally School of Education
- Taylor Jane Tilford, Childhood Education
- Jen Ann Ames, Liana Nicole Frauenberger, Childhood Education/Special Education
- Katherine Brynes, Communication Sciences and Disorders
- John Angerame, Early Childhood Ed/Childhood Ed
- Hannah Carolyn Lansing, Madelyn Alyce Percy, Inclusive Early Childhood Education
School of Mathematics and Sciences
- Sarah Devernoe, Abigail Kronau, Biology
- Chaoyan Yu, Biochemistry
- Francine Tongson, Medical Technology
- Daniel R. Klein, Computer Science
- Mary Kazolias, Criminal Justice, Behavior, and Law
- Alix Kovac, Forensic Psychology
- Kyleigh Chriss, Forensic Psychology, Clinical Concentration
- Madison Hack, Forensic Science
- Niva Maharhjan, Mathematics
- Taylor Humphrey, Psychology
- Briana Spina, Psychology, Clinical and Counseling Concentration
- Summyrrh Woodard, Social Work
Outstanding Graduate Student Awards
Huether School of Business
- Luisa Gaudl, Business Administration/MBA
- Christina Anderson, MBA
- Emanuele Renda, Business Analytics
- Colleen Quaglia, Master of Science in Accounting/Bachelor of Science in Accounting (150 hour program)
- Anne-Lynsha Momperousse, Master of Science in Business Analytics/Bachelor Science in Finance
- Johnny Pohlman, MBA/Bachelor of Science in Finance
Thelma P. Lally School of Education
- Ali Barraca, Justin Serafini, Adolescence Education/Biology
- Henry Best, Adolescence Education/Social Studies
- Sabrina Leviton, Maja De Garay, Adolescence Education/Special Education: English Language Arts
- Sarina Carmela Biski, Adolescence Education/Special Education, Mathematics
- Tristyn Anne Koren, Adolescence Education/Special Education Biology
- Joshua Sangaline, Childhood Education (1-6)
- Lauren Castellana, Natalie Anne Couse, Childhood Education/Special Education
- Agnes Laufer, Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Matthew Fitzpatrick, Collaborative Support Teacher
- Sophie Clarice Westfield, Communication Sciences and Disorders
- Julianna Luciano, Curriculum and Instruction
- Brian Avery, Early Childhood Education (B-2)
- Sarah Hummel, Early Childhood/Childhood Education (B-6)
- John McNally, Educational Psychology
- Amanda Conklin, Literacy: Birth-Grade 12 MSED
- Shannon R. Brayman, Literacy: Birth-Grade 12 (CAS)
- Julia M. Smith, Professional Special Education
- Anthony J. Umina, School Counseling
- Amy Moselhi, Amanda Lolik, School District Business Leader (CAS)
- Polly Benjamin, Katie Sill, School Business Leader (CAS)
Mathematics and Sciences
- Trevor D. Bali, Master of Science in Computer Information Systems/Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- Antonia Peppe, Katie Ann Parisi, Stacy Lynn Lauver, Alyssa VanBramer, Social Work
Videos of 2021 Honors Convocation ceremonies
View the School of Arts and Humanities 2021 Honors Convocation video
View the Huether School of Business 2021 Honors Convocation video
View the School of Mathematics and Sciences 2021 Honors Convocation video
View the Thelma P. Lally School of Education 2021 Honors Convocation video
Slide presentations for 2021 Honors Convocation ceremonies
View the School of Arts and Humanities 2021 Honors Convocation video slide presentation
View the Huether School of Business 2021 Honors Convocation slide presentation
View the School of Mathematics and Sciences 2021 Honors Convocation slide presentation
View the Thelma P. Lally School of Education 2021 Honors Convocation slide presentation