Saint Rose Alum Jenna Quaranta with Annie Sheeley

As previously announced, The College of Saint Rose community was heartbroken to learn of the passing of Annie Sheeley, a longtime employee in our dining hall, late last month at age 75. Annie had been at the College for 14 years and was the friendly face who greeted students and swiped their ID cards. She had an almost superhuman ability to remember students’ names without glancing at their IDs and an equally amazing ability to brighten spirits with a simple conversation or “enjoy your meal.”

Students and alumni shared their memories of her on Facebook, and some of the sentiments included:

Even on the worst days Annie couldn’t help but make you smile. An individual who truly embodied Saint Rose in every way.

Annie was by far the sweetest person at St. Rose. She remembered hundreds of student names and brightened our days immensely. Before we graduated, she gave my friends and I a hug and told us to “take care of each other.” I will always remember her kindness and smile. She was truly “fabulous.”

She was such a kind woman. Everyday she would call me by my name and ask how I was doing, and say “you’re so beautiful!” Every time. She made me feel so welcomed, loved, and never failed to make me smile, even on the tough days. I loved having conversations with her, she cared so deeply for so many. What a truly amazing person

She was like the mom for some of us students who were far from home and didn’t have a parent close enough.

The College has been working with Student Association (SA) to listen to suggestions from students and alumni for honoring Annie’s life and spirit. Those include:

• Celebrating Annie’s life with a service on February 12 at 5 p.m. via Zoom.
  • Renaming the Emergency Food Program the Annie Sheeley Emergency Food Program. Sodexo, our new hospitality services provider, has donated $5,000 toward this effort as part of a donation-matching program. The program assists students who do not have the means to buy food. Donations can be made online by selecting “other” under designations and then typing in Annie Sheeley Emergency Food Program.
  • The College will rename a cozy section of the dining hall that is often used for conversation in Annie’s honor. The area will include a plaque, and the Student Association will work with students to choose the name.
  • The Student Association gives an award annually at the Student Service and Appreciation Awards ceremony that recognizes staff who go above and beyond to support students. Annie is a past recipient. That award will now be renamed in her honor.

Annie was consistently kind, and she embodied service to the dear neighbor. Her life was a testament to how small and constant acts of kindness can impact so many lives. She helped our campus feel like HOME, and she will forever be a part of our community.