Recently, Albany Mayor Kathy Sheehan announced the launch of a new city website and brand identity. The brand identity was created through a collaboration with the graphic design program and was the work of recent graphic design graduate Gabriela (Gabby) Gordon ’20.

Albany Mayor Kathy Sheehan said in the news release, “(I) want to thank The College of Saint Rose, Professor (Ann) Breaznell, and Gabriela Gordon for creating this exciting new brand identity representing our diverse, progressive city and its rich history.”

In early 2019, Albany and Saint Rose partnered to create a modern brand identity that represented the “diverse, progressive city and its rich history, and incorporates the city’s colors.”

“During the spring semester of 2019, 13 Saint Rose graphic design majors, immersed in Albany history, toured Albany Institute of History & Art’s extensive collection of early Albany artifacts, met with the city historian and, working in teams, developed several exciting design alternatives, applied by the students to stationery, websites, vehicles and promotional materials for City consideration,” said Ann Breaznell, associate professor of graphic design and coordinator of the Saint Rose identity design project. “Ultimately, a brand designed by Gabby Gordon ’20 was selected by the City for Albany’s new identity.”

According to the city’s news release, Gordon’s design was inspired by Dutch artifacts circa 1650–1690 that were on display at the Albany Institute of History & Art. Gordon, who graduated in 2020, is currently working as a graphic designer.

“I remember feeling incredibly excited the day my classmates and I found out that we as graphic design students at The College of Saint Rose, would be given the opportunity to work on the new brand for the City of Albany,” Gordon said. “Throughout the process, I increased my knowledge of the city that I had started to call home (and still do) a few years prior. The design process as a whole was a true collaboration between many talented Saint Rose designers — The ideas, thoughts, and hard work that my team produced brought this brand to life. I am truly thrilled that the culmination of our collaboration and dedication to design was chosen to represent the City for hopefully many years to come.

The city said the new brand identity will be utilized on various city publications, electronic and print materials, and other mediums.

“The Center for Art & Design faculty and I are thankful for Professor Breaznell’s leadership and for all of the students who researched, conceptualized, and produced a wide range of ideas that were presented on multiple occasions to city personnel during their visits to Picotte Hall,” said Center for Art & Design chair Kris Tolmie. “This exciting news is a testament to the strength of our NASAD-accredited programs and will serve as one of its compelling legacies.”