Skip to Main Content
Legacy Families

Carol Seitz ’77
Carol Seitz met her future husband during the fall of her senior year at Saint Rose. “I still remember the moment he walked into my English class and sat right next to me,” she says. “To my delight, he appeared in my psychology class, too.”

The couple married in 1980, and took wedding photos on the green at Saint Rose. At her husband’s suggestion, Carol came to work full time at Saint Rose for the tuition-remission benefit for their three sons. She worked initially for undergraduate admissions, and then transferred to the School of Math and Science as secretary/office manager to the dean.

All three sons earned degrees at Saint Rose. Steven ’07, majoring in biology, studied abroad in Costa Rica and Belize, and went on service trips to Honduras with Father Chris DeGiovine and Sister Sean Peters. Jeffrey ’09, a communications major and classmate of Jimmy Fallon, followed in his father’s footsteps and worked at Capital Region BOCES. Brian ’11, who earned a degree in business administration, runs his own business for building custom furniture.

“It was my husband’s idea for me to put the boys through college, but unfortunately, he never got to see any of them graduate,” says Carol. “Dave passed away in December 2006. I am still working at Saint Rose. It will be 20 years in October. As you can see, every phase in my life has had Saint Rose as a major part of it. Every member of my family is an alumnus. Saint Rose will always hold a special place in the hearts of the Seitz family.”

Fitzgerald Fitzgerald3(Palmucci) Fitzgerald ’90
Annmarie (Palmucci) Fitzgerald’s ’90 maternal grandmother, Anne Dunvar ’53, was the first cousin of Bishop Edward Maginn, and the two grew up in the same house. Maginn, for whom Maginn Hall was named, was known for his commitment to social justice, and established inner-city services and appointed priests to work with the poor. He also represented the Albany Diocese from 1962 until 1965 at the Second Vatican Council.

“My family was so excited when I decided to attend Saint Rose, since we had this family connection to the College,” says Fitzgerald. “I can’t help but think that Bishop Maginn’s philosophies had connection to the College’s mission of community, passion, and purpose.”

Through her 30 years as an administrator of Community Action Head Start and advocate of children and families, Fitzgerald says her Saint Rose experience has stood her in good stead. Her cousin, Rachel Richmond ’22, is majoring in special education and proudly continuing the family’s spirit.

“I am proud of my family’s legacy of service and thank The College of Saint Rose for its part in that legacy,” says Fitzgerald. “I look to the future with potentially more family members attending and continuing the Saint Rose tradition of education and service!”

LapetinaRose Lapetina Sherin ’74
Rose Lapetina Sherin ’74 grew up hearing about Saint Rose from her mother, Mary Gaffney Lapetina ’44, G’63. “My mother always believed the College opened numerous doors for her,” says Sherin about her mother, an only child who was 11 when her father passed away. “She majored in sociology and was going to change the world. She excelled academically, ran ‘Mary Gaffney’s date bureau,’ acted in the stage plays (where she met her husband), and sharpened her ethics and her approach to life.”

Two months before Gaffney Lapetina’s graduation, her grandmother passed away. When Mother Rose of Lima learned that she didn’t have the money for her final tuition payment, she waived the tuition.

LapetinaWhen Sherin was deciding where to attend college, she heard from her sister Mary Lapetina Bartkowski ’72, who was then at Saint Rose. “Between my sister’s explanations about the academic flexibility at Saint Rose, and my mother’s tales, I was sold,” says Sherin.

“Classes were intimate, faculty cared; I had internships, was elected class president, served on numerous committees (including the presidential search committee that selected Dr. Thomas Manion), and developed friendships that I still treasure,” Sherin adds. “Upon graduating in 1974, I became the freshman admissions counselor, and for the next five years, I recruited students to a college that I loved and knew intimately.”

Sherin’s younger sister, Katherine Lapetina Better G’82, chose Saint Rose for her master’s degree in education. “A Saint Rose legacy was complete: a mother and her three daughters, all with degrees from The College of Saint Rose.”

Author Kathleen Powers

Kathleen Powers ’71 writes
Our family’s connection to Saint Rose began in the summer of 1929 when Rosemary Hausmann (Strain) graduated as valedictorian from Cathedral Academy in Albany and won a scholarship to Saint Rose. The first in her family to attend college, Rosemary graduated, again as valedictorian, in 1934. She worked for the NYS Department of Social Services, retiring in 1970.

Her younger sister, Helen Hausmann (Ellis), entered Saint Rose in the fall of 1941, also as valedictorian of her Cathedral Academy class. Helen edited her class yearbook, Rose Leaves, and graduated in 1945 as salutatorian. Several years later she led the College’s annual fundraising effort. Helen received her master’s in education from Saint Rose in 1970, and for many years taught the “Practicum” graduate reading course. After many years, Helen retired as a school psychologist for the Albany Public Schools.

When it was time for Helen’s daughter, Kathy Ellis (Powers), to attend college, she chose Saint Rose, as did her cousin, Millie Ellis, both of whom graduated in 1971. Kathy’s younger brother, Phil Ellis, received his master’s in education from Saint Rose in 1973, and worked for many years as a special education teacher in the Albany public schools (and later for NYSUT). Their sister, Anne Ellis (Trombetta), received her master’s in education in 1976, and worked as an art teacher in the Vernon Valley Public Schools in New Jersey.

Another brother, Tom Ellis, received his master’s in education from Saint Rose in 1993 and was named Distinguished Alumnus in 2005 for his environmental work. He has taught for many years at St. Anne Institute in Albany. Phil’s wife, Sara Ellis, served as secretary to the president of Saint Rose for several years in the 1990s. After Phil’s death in 2000, he was honored by having a room in the new education building dedicated to him.

Two of Rosemary’s and Helen’s cousins also graduated from Saint Rose: Helen Leonard (Milnarik) ‘56, and Anne Marie Doyle (DeMarco) ‘58.

Another of Helen’s daughters, Maureen Ellis Edgerly, donated a quilt she made to honor her brother, Phil. For many years, it hung at the top of a wide staircase in the Lally Education Building.

Elizabeth Allen WyldElizabeth Allen Wyld ’73, G’77 writes:
Mabel Dugan Connors ‘30 was among the first classes to graduate. My mother Carolina Connors Allen ’48, G’65 took multiple buses from Watervliet to attend class. This made for long days when she was editor of the yearbook, Rose Leaves. My sister Carolyn Allen Meltzer ’72, G’77 and I had a slightly shorter commute: We walked past the eight houses from our home at 464 Western Avenue to the Science Hall at 432 Western Avenue. Our home is now part of the Saint Rose campus.

Elizabeth Allen Wyld Elizabeth Allen WyldWhen I married my husband, John, we added two sisters-in-law to the Saint Rose legacy—Gail L. Wyld ’54 and Joyce A. Wyld Lasseter ’54. There is a picture in Rose Leaves when Gail and Joyce were seniors that was taken inside the Science Hall (John jokes that he was the first male to have his picture in a Saint Rose yearbook; he was about 8 months old!).

Our daughter Elizabeth Connors Wyld ‘99 attended CSR and broke with tradition. Even though we lived about 11 blocks away, she lived on campus. While a student, Lizzy met her future wife, Lynda, whose mother Sandra Stein Smith graduated in 1960.

It is no coincidence that our granddaughter’s middle name is Rose.

Other graduates include my sister-in-law, Diane Fletcher Allen ’81, my nephew Francis X. Allen Jr. ’08, G’13, and cousins Jane Allen Gobel ’44, Mary Joan Reilly Allen ’48, Anne Nerf Connors ’58, Therese Farnan Connors ‘64, Kathleen Wyld Bond ’87, Mary Connors G’91, and Kevin R. Allen G’92.

While it was impossible to know that we were creating a Saint Rose legacy years ago, we have come to realize just what the College has meant to our family.

Kathleen McLoughlin Heffernan ’65 writes:
These are the fond memories I treasure about Sister Clara Agnes McLoughlin, CSJ ’29 – her endearing smile, her quiet laugh, her petite stature, which belied a giant heart, and her love and devotion to The College of Saint Rose, the Sisters of St. Joseph, and her beloved large family.

Alice McLoughlin was born in 1908 in Troy, New York, the fourth child of eight surviving children of George F. and Mary McLoughlin. She had a head of beautiful red wavy hair, a brilliant mind, and athletic ability that rivaled, if not exceeded, that of her three brothers. She was valedictorian of her class at Catholic Central High School. In 1929, she earned a B.A. in Spanish and her graduation from Saint Rose was followed by entry into the CSJ community.

Her teaching career ran the gamut from kindergarten to college.

She was a professor of Spanish and chair of the foreign language department for 30 years. She received an M.A. in Spanish from the Catholic University of America, and a Ph.D. from Case Western Reserve in Cleveland, Ohio. Post-graduate studies included The University of Havana, The University of Valencia in Spain, and Georgetown University in Washington, D.C., Sister Clara instituted a student-exchange program, was a class advisor, and was honored by the Golden Knights to be the first member installed in the CSR Basketball Hall of Fame.

Given those bona fides and character traits, who wouldn’t follow her to Saint Rose? Because we lived locally, her nieces and nephews attended Rose Day, visited with the Sisters in the large and beautifully furnished lounge behind the mailboxes in Saint Joseph Hall, walked the campus, went to the “new library,” and ate in the cafeteria in the basement of the Science Hall. Patty McLoughlin, age five, was a page for the Rose Queen of 1953 Margaret Scheppach. We could have been tour guides by age 11.

Our history begins. Following her sister Alice, Berenice McLoughlin ’50 entered the CSJ community after high school. She earned a B.A. in foreign languages and taught German. When they both came home for a rare day-long visit, we noticed their siblings called them Al and Bee! Grandchildren called them Sister Vincent Agnes and Sister Clara.

The next applicant was Anne Dusten ’54, Sister Clara’s niece from Nazareth, Pennsylvania. She was a music major, lived in Fontbonne Hall, and was a member of the class of 1953 to 1954.
Anne retired from the Schalmont schools as a music teacher and in her retirement years became an ardent fan of our Golden Knights.

Next in line but first in homesick, I set out on the approximately 7-mile trek to Saint Rose and arrived at Fontbonne Hall. I majored in social studies, was voted a student senator, and made lifelong friends. Except for the fetal pig, I had the happiest four years at Saint Rose.

In my sophomore year, Sister Agnes Rose Burton, CSJ ’51 recruited my mother, Doris McLoughlin, to serve as an officer of a newly formed Mother’s Club, of which she was president. My mother was never happier than when she was wearing a large hat and pouring tea from a silver teapot for a group of women in Saint Joseph Hall Auditorium.

She was christened an official Rosebud by Sister Agnes Rose and wore her pride for all to see.

Mary McLoughlin Quillinan was hired as switchboard supervisor and greeter of visitors at the Science Hall in the early ’60s. Aunt Mary was perfect for the position, for she loved people and truly cared for the dear neighbor. Aunt Mary was so very proud to work at Saint Rose.

My youngest sister, Michele McLoughlin Smith ’72, was a Spanish major, graduating in 1972. Sister Clara was her professor in nearly all of her Spanish classes. No favoritism was shown. Trust us. Sister Clara had high expectations for her students, and they deeply respected her. Shelly retired from the Granville Central School District, also highly respected by her Spanish students and fellow teachers.

My daughter, Bridget Heffernan Mendel G’92, earned a graduate degree in education in 1992. Before or after class, she was a frequent visitor to Partridge Street, visiting with Sister Tess Wysolmerski and Sister Agnes Rose Burton and her Great Aunt Clara.

In 1989, I returned to my alma mater as director of alumni and parent relations. Every day of my tenure, I was impressed by students, administrators, staff, and faculty. It was good to be home.
From 1926 to 1992, three generations of McLoughlins have been formed by The College of Saint Rose. We are teachers, musicians, linguists, community activists, board members of hospice, marchers for just causes, and mothers and wives.

Our inheritance has been one of character and faith, academic excellence, a passion for social justice, civility, and loyalty. We remember so many of the traditions of our time and at our College – Wednesday assembly in cap and gown, moving up day, morning mass in the chapel on the third floor, clubs and plays and class officers, and May Day marches and dances in the auditorium. Traditions have changed as we surely know that the world has changed. New traditions emerge, and old ones will fade. But they will not be forgotten.

For four years the alma mater we often sang with the entire student body ended with these words:

“And in years that will come
When the day’s at its close
We shall think of you then
Alma Mater, Saint Rose”

Traditions matter. Memories comfort. Love remains. We have been graced by all of these.

Lewis Sisters

Lewis Sisters: In the photo, Paula is on the left and I am on the right.

Karen Dale Lewis Collins ‘76
Paula Jean Lewis (Handen) ‘73

Both my sister and I graduated from Saint Rose. Paula Jean Lewis graduated in 1973 and I, Karen Dale Lewis, graduated in 1976.

She graduated with a degree in elementary education. Her graduate work was in special education. She taught for several years at St. Madeline Sophie, which she loved. When she left, she went on to work at a couple of different day cares until she started her own at her home in Voorheesville. She was very popular wherever she taught. She helped one young lady at St. Madeline’s who was being abused, and one in her day care at her house who was being abused. She also worked for the ARC for a brief while.

I got my degree in secondary education with a minor in social studies/Asian studies. When I graduated, I got a job at Cobleskill, where I taught global studies for 24 years. I was a class advisor for several years and involved in an exchange program with Russia. I was able to stay with a family in Russia for a couple of weeks. I left with my husband when he retired and we moved to Florida. I got a job working at the Center for the Visually Impaired teaching computer to the blind for 8 years. Finally I finished my career at the YMCA as a wellness attendant.

Both my sister and I loved Saint Rose and felt like we received a great education which enabled us to succeed in several different areas. I feel that I would not have been as successful were it not for the great secondary education program. We felt the professors were excellent.

Thanks, Saint Rose, for all you did to help make our life successful.
– Paula and Karen

Johanna Clare Livingston Chasse ’91
Judith Ann Zwolak (Livingston) ’66

I graduated in 1991 with a degree in education. In 1966 my mother, Judith Ann Zwolak (Livingston), graduated from Saint Rose. My mother went on to teach English/special education, and receive a master’s degree (elsewhere) in special education.

For our entire childhood, my brother and I always heard my mother speaking highly of Saint Rose. She told us stories of the required attire, formal dinners, church services, curfews and dating rules, including a Sister monitoring the desk at Lima Hall!

She spoke about friends and the memories they shared – just like family.
She told stories with a smile that lit up the room. She made it feel like it was home.

At 17, when I was looking at colleges, Saint Rose was the natural choice. It is who my mom is inside and out and what she passed on to me.

Saint Rose taught lessons to me so I could become not only the best at my career but just a genuine good, positive person who cares for others.
Growing up, I saw a strong, amazing woman in my mother. My father passed away in 1971 while serving in the Armed Forces (five years after her graduation). I was 15 months old and my brother was 2 weeks old. My mother raised us by herself.

She showed dedication that is unlike anything I have ever known, and that is something that I know came from Saint Rose.

In my early years at Saint Rose, I learned that Saint Rose was founded on the principles of knowledge, goodness, and discipline. My mother taught me to get a good education, be kind to others, and always follow the rules.
While at Saint Rose, I learned those same principles as they applied to my future.

At 17, I had no idea about my career. While working in the Student Affairs office, I immediately figured out my career because of people like Mike D’Attilio and Dennis McDonald ‘77.

These individuals taught me that I could achieve anything I set my heart to and I could do it while always being supportive to others.
They taught me that self-discipline is important because I would need my master’s degree and drive.

Almost 30 years after graduating from Saint Rose, I have put those principles to use and have never forgotten the lessons I learned while working in that office.

Not only do I have two amazing children, but I have a dream career in global event and travel management. Over the course of my career, I have traveled the world planning exclusive events for entertainers, companies, and organizations. I have had the opportunity to plan mission trips for churches. I have worked with A-list celebrities in Hollywood planning tours, and have created PBS specials and PBS concert tours.

I owe it all to Saint Rose.

My daughter, Nicole, is attending Johnson University for her undergraduate in Intercultural studies, but plans on attending Saint Rose (third generation – 2023!) for her master’s in teaching English as a new language because of the value to starting a mission organization.

My son is planning to begin Saint Rose in 2024.

My mother, Class of 1966, celebrated her Golden Roses and I am blessed to have graduated exactly 25 years later in 1991.

Saint Rose has so many memories for me so I can sum it up in a few words:
Saint Rose is Home.

Thank you so much for hearing my story!

– Johanna Clare Livingston Chasse ’91

Verostek PascualMary Frances Verostek ’82
Justine A Pascual ’17, G’19

What does Saint Rose mean to our family?
F Foundation and heart of our academic education.
A Abundance of opportunities to share both time and talents within the Saint Rose community.
M Motivated to stay connected and engaged with faculty, staff and students.
I Institution that supported us on our journeys from undergraduate and graduate students to active alumni.
L Leadership within our chosen vocations.
Y Yearning to advance and support the goals of the College.

Anne Kaelin Hollinger ‘59
Ruth Painter Hill ‘60
Mary E. Conway ‘64
Sister Jane Creighton, OP ‘66
Katherine Goubeaud Dodd ‘69
Cathleen Carey ‘86
Eileen Carey ‘86
Eileen O’Neill Sullivan ‘87

Katherine DoddCathleen and Eileen are sisters; the rest of us are cousins.

The first generation of our family to attend Saint Rose grew up in little farming communities on eastern Long Island, in a tightly knit Catholic family. If we were going to go to college, it couldn’t be local and it should be Catholic. Saint Rose fit the bill!

When we got there, after a couple of hours on the train to New York, a trip from Penn Station to Port Authority Bus Terminal, and three hours (or more) on the bus to Albany, we found many students from families very like ours…a true comfort factor. We were not isolated on a huge campus in the middle of nowhere. We could study to be teachers, the goal for almost all of us. It was reasonably priced, too.

Saint Rose gave us the keys to being self-sufficient, mature young women. Friends made there have been with most of us for our lifetimes. There has always been a warm welcome on trips back to the campus, and at alumni gatherings in our areas.

For our family, Saint Rose has been the right place at the right time, for a long time!

– Katherine Goubeaud Dodd ’69

My introduction to The College of Saint Rose was through my two cousins who had previously graduated and a third cousin who would be entering her senior year. All were in the teaching profession and this is what I, too, desired.
Upon my visit to the campus, I knew this was where I wanted to be. The warm, welcoming atmosphere made me feel right at home. For four years, the College became a second home and is still considered as such today.

All of us received an excellent education in a warm and loving atmosphere. We especially treasure the gift of life, long friends made in those years. Mine are still close after 50-plus years!! (In fact, we now have Zoom gatherings.)

The years at Saint Rose enabled us to mature and grow in our independence. It will always be a special place for our family. It is a joy to visit the College when in the Albany area. It is amazing how the campus has grown!!

The College of Saint. Rose and the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet will always have a special place in our hearts.

– Jane Creighton, OP

Brown Paine Weddig

John’s July 2018 wedding at The Hiland Park Country Club in Queensbury, NY

Stephanie A. Brown (Paine) ’11, G’13
John R. Paine, Jr. ‘14

We (Stephanie A. Brown (Paine) ’11, G’13 and John R. Paine, Jr. ’14) are siblings.

The College of Saint Rose is located approximately 2.5 hours from our home, so having a sibling attend the same college offered a little “slice of home,” and with that, neither of us grew homesick!

Being the older sister, I was able to help orient John to the ins and outs of living on campus during his first year, as well as give pointers for classes (like what professors are strong) and general academics (registration day is crucial).

On campus, it was comforting to be able to meet up in the cafeteria for a meal, drop off candy to each other during late-night study sessions, and watch each other play tennis and ultimate Frisbee.

Interestingly, we both became resident assistants for a few years and had a lot of fun together during trainings and staff meetings.

Off campus, we were able to explore Albany together and enjoy our favorite sushi and Thai dishes, go see a movie, and go shopping using the one car we shared!

We were so fortunate to have this closeness during a period when other families typically spend a lot of time apart; it also made it very easy for our involved parents and grandparents to visit!

Most importantly, by attending the same institution, we were able to lean on each other during stressful times, and to be present to celebrate each other’s accomplishments; such as when we both earned awards at our respective Honors convocation ceremonies, and for end of year commencement.

– Stephanie A. Brown (Paine) ’11, G’13

Nancy Vice ( Klein) standing and Roberta Williams

Nancy Vice Klein ‘90
Dawn Vice ’94, G’00
Elisa Berhaupt ‘09
Roberta Delores Williams ’91, G’04
Gabriella Racana ‘21

Dawn Vice

Dawn Vice ’94, G’00

I have a wonderful legacy at Saint Rose and would love to share that history with you.

Working and going to school at The College of Saint Rose was a wonderful experience for me. As an account clerk in the Business Office, and in later years as the Bursar, I worked days and attended classes at night and for some weekends as a graduate student. The professors and the classes met my high expectations and I completed my B.S. in business in 1990 and M.S. in Education in 1992, as Nancy Vice.

I was at Saint Rose from 1985 to 2000, when I went to Vassar College (Poughkeepsie, New York) to accept a position as their director of student accounts.

Since then, I have earned teaching certifications in three content areas, and currently teach intensive reading to ninth graders in Florida.
Saint Rose and the faculty prepared me for all of these varied career opportunities.

My daughter, Dawn Vice, was able to attend and to do an Internship towards graduating in 1994 with a degree in psychology for counseling.

She went on to get her masters in 2000 and presides over all the Queensbury Union Free School counselors in Queensbury, New York, and places seniors in local businesses for their internships.

David Vice - US Airforce

David Vice – US Airforce

David Vice, my son, was attending Saint Rose from 1999 until 2001, but was deployed 9/11/2001, for Operation Enduring Freedom, with the U.S. Air Force.

Elisa Berhaupt and Gabriella Racana

Elisa Berhaupt and Gabriella Racana

Elisa Berhaupt is my niece who came to Saint Rose with me on Take Your Daughter to Work Day as a child. As a result, she chose to attend Saint Rose for her degree in education, which she received in 2009. She quickly received a teaching job in New Jersey and currently works in New York City in a private school, where she has won awards for teaching children to be proficient readers.

Roberta Delores Williams is my cousin, who attended Saint Rose to become an art teacher. She received her degrees in 1990 (undergraduate) and 2003 (graduate).
Since Saint Rose is so well known and respected for their degrees and their rigorous requirements, she was hired immediately.

The tradition goes on to the next generation with a great-niece, Gabriella Racana, following in Aunt Elisa’s footsteps. She is a candidate for graduation in 2021 with a degree in communication sciences and disorders.

Saint Rose has been a wonderful journey for each of us with a solid foundation to build on, for all of our individual successes, of lifelong learning, and career paths.

– Nancy Vice Klein

Lang Family

The Lang Family: Here is a picture from the Evangelist. Left to right: Mrs Edward (Elizabeth Rogers) Lang 41, Mary 83 and Robert Lang Mrs. Thomas (Mary O’Connell) Holton 46, Patricia & Teresa Holton Student Carol McHugh 65

Elizabeth Rogers Lang ‘41
Mary Lang ’83
Mary O’Connell Holton ‘46
Carol McHugh ’65

Kiehm

Rose Leaves, 1923

Mary Ann Schiller Whitney, ’65
Dorothy Cecelia Kiehm (Schiller), ’25 (mother)
Marian Kiehm (Antes), ’24 (aunt)

When my children (now in their 50s) saw the Rose Leaves picture of my mother, they related some of my qualities back to her even though she had passed when they were very young: faithfulness to work and play, hospitality and warmth with friends, sympathetic and comforting to those around her.

Amazingly, her college scrapbook and photo book are also still in my possession!

Growing up it was evident to me the love she had for The College of Saint Rose. She remained active in the alumnae group in our home town of Utica and when fate moved us to Rochester, the first thing she did was contact a Saint Rose classmate, who helped with the transition.

Three years later, she was thrilled that my college choice was to be her legacy.

Now that our class been through the Golden Roses ceremony, that love and appreciation of Saint Rose continues. At that time my family agreed to donate her diploma to the Archives.

Though we moved far away (Texas), several classmates within driving distance regularly meet for lunch. Some have even made the trip from back East for mini-reunions.

Of course, we try to be attend the five-year reunions whenever possible and had planned (pre-pandemic) to be at the Centennial celebration!

What could be better than lifelong friends who practically grew up together? Compared to today, we were sheltered in many ways, but we forged ahead with the education and values that Saint Rose nurtured.

When we get together, it’s like old times in the houses and dorms…easy laughter, care and concern for each other’s lives, and a love of our alma mater.
– Mary Ann Whitney ’65

Anne M. Young ‘92

Karen A Pedrick ’92

Karen Pedrick ’92

Vincent La Porta G’66
Jean La Porta ‘62 

Jean and VIncent LaPorta

Jean La Porta ’62 and VIncent LaPorta G’66

Please select a valid form