Today, March 24, President Carolyn J. Stefanco sent the following message to students:
I hope this email finds you and your loved ones well. Please know that all of us at Saint Rose are incredibly proud of your resilience during these uncertain times.
I write you today to settle one uncertainty. Many of you have asked about room and board charges since the public health crisis caused by Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) prompted us to move all classes online beginning March 16 and ask students to move out of the residence halls by March 15.
Today, the Saint Rose Board of Trustees approved providing a prorated credit or refund to residential students for their room and board costs after they vacated the residence halls in mid-March. Depending on what deadline students were given to move out, accounts will receive a credit for either 53 days (From March 15 to May 7) or 46 days (March 22 to May 7) of room and board. Below are the policies approved by the board:
• If you still owe a balance in Spring 2020 (the current semester), we will apply those funds to your outstanding bill.
• If you have paid in full for Spring 2020 (the current semester), the credit will be applied toward your Summer 2020 or Fall 2020 account.
• If you are graduating in May 2020, you will receive a refund check.
• If you decide not to return in Fall 2020, refunds would be provided after the Fall 2020 add/drop deadline, which is August 28, 2020.
• For students who have paid class-specific fees where the “lab” experience is not being provided online, a credit for 50% of those fees will be applied to your Summer 2020 or Fall 2020 account. As with room and board, students graduating in May 2020 will receive this credit as a refund. As we are still providing many services virtually, credit will not be given for general College fees.
• There will be no adjustments made for tuition, as our expert faculty are still delivering a Saint Rose education online.
Because each student’s account will be processed individually, please allow until mid-April for credits/refunds to be issued.
Questions should be directed to the Bursar’s Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The last of the important decisions to be made by the College in light of COVID-19 includes our 2020 commencement, which is currently scheduled for May 9. We know that this is important to our seniors, our graduate students who are finishing their programs, and their proud families. While we do not have an announcement at this time, we hope to have a decision made about commencement by the end of this week. We appreciate your patience.
Please continue to take precautions to protect your health and the health of the communities around you. Like you, we miss regular campus life already, and you are in our thoughts and prayers every day.