Skip to Main Content

Lori Anctil is only the second athletics director in Saint Rose history, and she's wasting no time in working to move the Golden Knights forward.

Lori Anctil, AVP and director of athletics at Saint Rose

Lori Anctil arrived at The College of Saint Rose in August, ready with a full wardrobe of black and gold, a “Go, Golden Knights!” tagline on every email, and a drive to win, as a program and as the program’s new leader.

Anctil, the associate vice president and director of athletics, a former Division I soccer player, comes to Saint Rose with 20 years of intercollegiate athletics experience, most recently as the assistant vice president/deputy director of athletics at Siena College. When Cathy Haker, the first and only other athletics director in Saint Rose history, announced her retirement in June, Anctil saw the door open to a longtime dream.

You’ve said leading Saint Rose Athletics was a dream job for you. Why is that?
I guess I always knew Saint Rose Athletics was the best kept secret in town! I’ve been very selective about opportunities along the way and wanted to make sure I wasn’t coming into a situation where the expectation was to keep things moving along. I wanted to lead an athletic program where I knew change was welcomed, and I could help make a difference for the College and in the lives of our Golden Knights.

Why do you love athletics?
I am the person I am today in large part because of playing sports. Right from the start, at the ripe old age of 6, I realized what playing and working really hard would do for me. I wasn’t necessarily the most skilled athlete growing up, but no one was going to outwork me. I had such a passion for sports. Loved being a teammate, traveling, practicing, and winning! When I realized I could make a career out of it, there was no turning back.

What potential do you see for athletics at Saint Rose?
I see Saint Rose Athletics being the elite institution in the NE10, and the best Division II conference in the country. We have an amazing location, beautiful campus, nationally recognized academic and athletic programs, and the opportunity and ability to attract student-athletes at a level above our competitors from all over the world. I see the opportunity to engage alumni, friends, fans, and the entire Saint Rose community near and far as we build the future for our Golden Knights.

To you, what does it mean to be a Golden Knight?
To me, being a Golden Knight means being a leader, committed to serving passionately for our respective teams, our campus, and the community. It means being inclusive and celebrating the uniqueness of every individual. It means being scholars, driven to succeed in the classroom while earning a Saint Rose degree. And it means being an athlete, playing to win in all we do.

We have thousands of athletics alums at Saint Rose. What are your plans for engaging them in Golden Knights Athletics today?
Face to face is the best way for me to engage with our alums. Realizing I would never see my family again with this method, I anticipate lots of emails, newsletters, video messaging, social media, phone calls, letters – whatever it takes to connect and learn the stories of our alums. I want to know what being a student-athlete at Saint Rose meant to them, what they want to see for the future of their Golden Knights, and how they can play a part in making a difference in the lives of our amazing student-athletes.

By Jennifer Gish

Please select a valid form