The College of Saint Rose President Carolyn J. Stefanco recently contributed a chapter to “Women’s Leadership Journeys: Stories, Research, and Novel Perspectives,” a collection of research and stories intended to help women along their paths to obtaining leadership positions.
“I’m honored for my perspective to be included alongside other fearless women leaders, all of whom are passionate about helping women advance and obtain leadership positions,” Stefanco said. “This book is a valuable resource for any woman seeking to learn from the experiences of others so that she may chart her own path to impactful leadership.”
In her chapter, which is titled, “Searching for a Presidency: Lessons for Women in American Higher Education,” Stefanco chronicles her personal experiences and the lessons she learned about the unique challenges facing women in the college presidency search process.
“As I explain in the opening of the chapter, stories like mine – an almost three-year journey with more than 30 conversations with search consultants, 19 applications, 13 first-stage, airport interviews, and seven experiences as a finalist before I accepted a presidency – are not the ones you often hear about,” Stefanco said. “Most people do not write about failure and the resiliency that is required to overcome setbacks, but the truth of the matter is that the search process was longer and harder than I could have ever anticipated.”
“My hope is that women who are pursuing leadership positions in higher education will learn from my experiences and the obstacles that I faced along the way, remain persistent in the face of adversity, and never give up on their dreams.”
This chapter underscores Stefanco’s personal commitment to ensuring that women and all students at Saint Rose have the opportunity to learn about leadership. At Saint Rose, this commitment is realized through:
- L.E.A.D., the College’s signature leadership and learning experience for all first-year students
- Saint Rose’s participation in the National Society of Leadership and Success
- Membership in the BOLD Women’s Leadership Network, where women student leaders receive additional training and financial support, and engage in a national network with other colleges and universities.
- The Women’s Leadership Institute, a soon-to-be-launched center at Saint Rose to teach women students about leadership, and to provide professional development for women employees of the institution and throughout the region.
- “Women’s Leadership Journeys: Stories, Research, and Novel Perspectives” is available in multiple formats, including eBook, paperback, and hardcover. The book is published by Routledge, the world’s leading academic publisher in the humanities and social sciences.