The College of Saint Rose has joined institutions of higher education around the world in signing the Declaration on University Global Engagement.
On October 5, Saint Rose President Carolyn J. Stefanco signed the declaration, issued by the Association of Public and Land-grant Universities and the United Nations Institute for Training Research. In doing so, Saint Rose is reaffirming its stated commitment to create an educational environment that reflects, inspires, and empowers global diversity and connectedness.
“The College continues to focus on advancing a culture that promotes the development of intercultural learning and global leadership and literacy,” Stefanco said, after making Saint Rose one of the early signatories of the declaration in the United States. “Saint Rose is also particularly attuned to the need to advance gender equity and support and encourage women’s leadership initiatives around the world. As an institution of higher education, the College has a great responsibility to ensure that students have as many opportunities as possible for international engagement.”
According to the declaration, signatories express their commitment to global engagement with these actions:
• Developing the global competence of all students so they have the skills to productively engage with individuals from different cultural and national backgrounds.
• Increasing our students’ understanding of the most pressing economic, social, and environmental challenges facing the world today.
• Significantly increasing student physical and virtual mobility across nations so that many more of our students experience realities outside their domestic contexts and deepen their understanding of challenges and opportunities in other parts of the world.
• Committing to cross-border and cross-sector research, knowledge sharing, and innovation in collaboration with our public and private stakeholders in pursuit of novel solutions to the SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals).
• Communicating publicly about the progress and importance of our global engagement.
Read more about the declaration here.